Shivaji Stadium 95 percent complete: MinisterSeptember 6th, 2011 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 6 (IANS) The Shivaji Stadium whose refurbishing was supposed to be done before the Commonwealth Games held here in October last year is now 95 percent complete, the Lok Sabha was informed Tuesday.
“Some works related to facade and services within the facility block building and basement parking are incomplete. Overall, 95 percent work is complete,” Minister of State of Home Affairs Mullappally Ramachandran said in a written reply.
Referring to the civic agency in charge of the renovation, the minister said the New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) has cited several reasons — from a court case to rains — for the delay.
“There were shops, restaurants, kiosks etc. in the alignment of the project. While making arrangements for their allotment, the Clock Tower restaurant went to the court against the NDMC,” he said.
“The delay in clearance of the court case and possession of site caused major constraint in completion of the work,” he added.
The NDMC further blamed the construction of an electric sub-station and an underground reservoir, lack of space for stacking construction material and extraordinary rains as reasons for the delay.
According to Ramachandran, the Delhi government provided Rs.1.50 lakh in 2008-09, Rs.3 lakh the following year and Rs.5.78 lakh for 2010-11 to renovate the stadium.
- Connaught Place to remain dug up for another year - Jul 15, 2011
- Delhi gets another automated multi-level parking - Jun 12, 2012
- Fix responsible for lapses, Himachal court tells official - Nov 18, 2011
- Can Connaught Place mess be cleared by month end? (With Images) - Aug 22, 2010
- Rush to complete Games work compromising quality? - Sep 05, 2010
- CAG slams 'avoidable' expenditure for Connaught Place renovation - Aug 05, 2011
- People expect spectacular games, complete work quickly : PM (Third Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- From streetscaping to lights - CAG slams Delhi government - Aug 05, 2011
- Many CWG projects to miss 'final' deadline - Aug 27, 2010
- Preparing for Games, Delhi battles lack of coordination - Aug 05, 2010
- Mamata foots bill for office renovation - May 30, 2011
- CBI registers three new cases in CWG scam - Mar 10, 2011
- Lack of funds delay railway projects: Minister - Aug 12, 2011
- India to tap Argentina for technical assistance in football - Aug 11, 2011
- Khan Market parking woes: Court questions civic agency - Jul 15, 2011
Tags: alignment, allotment, clock tower, commonwealth games, constraint, construction material, court case, delhi government, facade, home affairs, lakh, Lok Sabha, minister of state, ndmc, New Delhi, possession, renovation, reply, shivaji, tower restaurant