Shiv Sena workers vandalise Mumbai hotelJanuary 21st, 2009 - 4:51 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 21 (IANS) Over 300 workers of the Bharatiya Kamgar Sena (BKS), the Shiv Sena’s labour wing, Wednesday vandalised the Hotel Intercontinental Grand to protest the sacking of at least 21 employees, a party leader said.BKS president Suryakant Mahadik told IANS that the hotel sacked its employees for trying to form a labour union with affiliation to BKS.
“When the workers persisted in their efforts to unite the hotel employees under the BKS flag, they were sacked without any notice or compensation six months ago,” Mahadik said.
Mahadik said the hotel management “threw us a challenge by vowing to never let the BKS form a union on its premises”.
Agitated by this, over 300 BKS men led by Mahadik, the Shiv Sena’s Rajya Sabha Member Sanjay Raut and legislator Anil Parab marched to the hotel to protest its “anti-labour policies”.
Admitting that some BKS workers clambered up the gates and vandalised the hotel lobby and broke glass doors and windows, Mahadik claimed that “the hotel management provoked my workers into causing damage in the premises”.
“The police baton charged us but we are used to police caning,” he added.
Despite repeated attempts by IANS, police and the hotel’s management were unavailable for comment.
The hotel is located barely two kms from the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport and is a favourite among business travellers.
Mahadik said that if the management fails to heed its demand that the sacked employees be reinstated and a BKS union formed in the hotel by this evening, the group will “take further steps”.
- Shiv Sena MP arrested for vandalising five-star hotel - Jan 27, 2009
- Shiv Sena union storms magazine office, assaults employees - Apr 19, 2012
- Shiv Sena MP arrested for attacking Mumbai hotel - Jan 27, 2009
- International Press Institute condemns attack on magazine - Apr 20, 2012
- Tourism minister condemns vandalisation of Mumbai hotel - Jan 22, 2009
- Court tells Shiv Sena leader to pay for damages - Mar 05, 2010
- Trade union strike total in Kerala - Feb 28, 2012
- Shiv Sena, NCP workers clash over union office - Jan 10, 2011
- Maruti violence may be planned: cops - Jul 21, 2012
- Hyundai workers gear up for negotiated settlement - Jan 28, 2012
- Suzuki plants get police cover, workers slam move - Jul 20, 2012
- Sacked Maruti workers mull strategy with trade unions - Aug 31, 2012
- 'Maruti executive paid for another officer's remarks' - Jul 27, 2012
- Fire at Maruti plant - Jul 18, 2012
- Shiv Sena got Rs.5 bn to oppose Jaitapur: Narayan Rane - Apr 21, 2011
Tags: anil, business travellers, chhatrapati shivaji international airport, doors and windows, glass doors, hotel employees, hotel intercontinental, hotel lobby, hotel management, hotel mumbai, jan 21, labour policies, labour union, legislator, party leader, police baton, rajya sabha member, raut, sanjay, vandalised