Shiv Sena warns V-Day revellers not to ‘cross limits’February 12th, 2009 - 4:56 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Feb 12 (IANS) With Valentine’s Day on Saturday, right wing groups in Goa have started flexing their muscles, warning young revellers to tone down their Feb 14 celebrations and keep it in “accordance with Indian culture”.
Speaking to reporters, state Shiv Sena unit president Upendra Gaonkar Thursday said Shiv Sena activists have been asked to reconnoitre college campuses in Goa to ensure that students do not go ‘overboard’ with their emotions Feb 14.
“If these students use vulgar extremes to celebrate Valentine’s Day, then we will take action. Anyone crossing limits will be dealt with in typical Shiv Sena style. We will not tolerate any kind of vulgarity,” Gaonkar told reporters.
Gaonkar also said that profession of love should not be exhibited on one day alone. “This is a Western fashion and needs to be condemned,” he said.
On Shiv Sena Supremo Bal Thackeray’s birthday recently, members of the Goa unit led by Gaonkar courted arrests after vandalising a multiplex here, which had screened the award winning blockbuster “Slumdog Millionaire”. Gaonkar described the vandalism as a “birthday gift” to Thackeray.
Jayesh Thali, spokesperson of the Hindu Janajagruti Samiti, said the HJS was opposed to the concept of Valentine’s Day, which he said was contrary to Indian culture.
“We are going to oppose it. We have to ensure that Western culture is not imposed on Indians,” he said.
- Razing of Hindu centre in Russia angers Goa - Apr 02, 2012
- Moral brigades to keep off this Valentine's Day - Feb 12, 2012
- Moral brigades not to play spoilsport on Valentine's Day (Lead) - Feb 12, 2012
- Hindu radical outfit protests against Valentine's Day in Jammu and Kashmir - Feb 12, 2011
- Mumbai youth enjoy Valentine's Day as MNS, Sena lie low - Feb 14, 2011
- Change of heart? No V-Day rampage, promise Hindu outfits - Feb 12, 2011
- Shiv Sena activists attack Goa multiplex screening 'Slumdog...' - Jan 23, 2009
- Goa Shiv Sena chief, deputy booked for extortion - Aug 11, 2010
- 21 Shiv Sainiks held for protests against 'MNIK' in Goa - Feb 12, 2010
- Goa right-wing groups attack editor for talk show comments - Jan 28, 2011
- Moral police finally bow to Valentine's Day - Feb 14, 2012
- Goa pulls out play from Shivaji Jayanti celebrations - Feb 22, 2011
- Ouster of offshore casinos tops Goa Shiv Sena's poll agenda - Mar 27, 2009
- Agra runs on Valentine's Day, Sena posts 'love guards' - Feb 14, 2011
- Hindu outfit seeks removal of Husain painting from Goa museum - Aug 11, 2009
Tags: bal thackeray, birthday gift, blockbuster, college campuses, extremes, feb 14, goa, hindu, hjs, indian culture, janajagruti, multiplex, revellers, shiv sena, spokesperson, valentine s day, vandalism, western culture, western fashion, wing groups