Shiv Sena, BJP and RPI announce allianceNovember 14th, 2011 - 8:04 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 14 (IANS) Nearly 23 years after the Shiv Sena joined hands with the Bharatiya Janata Party, the alliance Monday took into the fold a new partner, the Republican Party of India.
The “grand alliance” was formally announced by Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray, senior BJP leader Gopinath Munde and RPI chief Ramdas Athawale after a meeting.
Athawale said that besides the alliance in Maharashtra, the RPI would also join the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA).
The alliance will henceforth fight all elections - ranging from local bodies to the assembly and parliament - Munde told media persons shortly after the meeting.
“We have taken RPI as an equal partner and we shall not ally in any manner with the Congress or Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) at any level,” said Thackeray.
BJP leaders have termed this as “a historical development” and capable of offering “a tough challenge” to the Congress-NCP in the state.
Starting next month, local elections are scheduled all over the state, making the “grand alliance” a significant political development, said a Sena office-bearer.
Barring discussions on a handful of seats, the three-party alliance has already finalized a majority of the seat-sharing for the February 2012 elections to Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC).
- Peeved Dalit leader quits Maharashtra opposition alliance - Jan 05, 2012
- Sena-BJP-RPI 'Grand Alliance' ready for Mumbai civic polls - Jan 12, 2012
- Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI triumphs in Mumbai, Thane civic polls; MNS gains (Intro Roundup) - Feb 17, 2012
- Jubilance and disappointment after Maharashtra civic polls results - Feb 17, 2012
- Opposition leaders to tour Maharashtra for show of might - May 24, 2011
- Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI triumphs in Mumbai, Thane civic polls; MNS gains (Roundup) - Feb 17, 2012
- Opposition joins hands against Maharashtra government - May 12, 2011
- Ramdas Athawale's RPI prepares to sup with Shiv Sena, BJP - May 09, 2011
- Uddhav Thackeray hits out at Rahul Gandhi, Ajit Pawar - Jun 10, 2011
- 'BJP not to sever ties with Shiv Sena over Pranab' - Jun 20, 2012
- BMC polls: Shiv Sena, BJP, RPI close to seat-sharing pact - Nov 07, 2011
- Sena-BJP combine triumph in Mumbai, Thane civic polls, MNS gains (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Pawar criticises RPI's alliance with BJP, Shiv Sena - Jun 10, 2011
- Athawale's saffron shift suicidal: RLDF - May 13, 2011
- Shiv Sena enters 46th year, welcomes RPI into alliance - Jun 20, 2011
Tags: 23 years, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, bjp leaders, bmc, congress ncp, executive president, grand alliance, local elections, media persons, munde, national democratic alliance, nationalist congress party, new partner, office bearer, party alliance, republican party, sena bjp, shiv sena, thackeray