Shinde likely to be new leader of Lok SabhaJuly 17th, 2012 - 11:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 17 (IANS) Union Power Minister Sushilkumar Shinde is likely to be the new Leader of the House in the Lok Sabha after Pranab Mukherjee was nominated as the ruling UPA’s presidential nominee, said government sources.
According to the sources, Shinde is likely to get the post despite the fact that his name figures after Home Minister P. Chidambaram and former cabinet minister Virbhadra Singh in the pecking order decided by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Sources said this order is generally based on which leader became a junior minister or a cabinet minister in the government at what point of time and also takes into account his administrative and parliamentary experience.
While there are concerns in the government that appointing Chidambaram as Leader of the House in the Lok Sabha may unite the opposition against the government, given allegations of his involvement in the 2G scam, Virbhadra Singh is no more in the cabinet after a Shimla court framed corruption charges against him recently.
The names of Corporate Affairs Minister M. Veerappa Moily and Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath come after Shinde in that pecking order, said the sources.
Shinde, a Dalit leader and former Maharashtra chief minister, is a veteran parliamentarian and enjoys popularity across parties in the house.
The crucial appointment of Leader of the House has to be made before parliament’s monsoon session convenes August 8, said the sources.
According to the rules, Leader of the House shall be the prime minister, if he is a member of the house, or another minister, so appointed by the prime minister.
- Chidambaram gets finance again, Shinde becomes home minister (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Shinde is new Leader of House in Lok Sabha (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi should be leader of Lok Sabha, says Congress MP - Jul 30, 2012
- Chidambaram new finance minister, Shinde gets home - Jul 31, 2012
- After Pranab who, ponders Congress (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Chidambaram gets finance again, Shinde becomes home minister (Second Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Sushilkumar Shinde: Ex-cop is India's home minister (Profile) - Jul 31, 2012
- Shinde debuts as leader of Lok Sabha - Aug 08, 2012
- Sushilkumar Shinde's smile helps break ice with opposition - Aug 06, 2012
- Shinde is new Lok Sabha leader of the house - Aug 03, 2012
- I'll welcome Rahul's entry into government, says PM (Third Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- UPA coordination committee to meet Aug 8 (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Equation with states to be simple, cordial: Shinde - Aug 01, 2012
- Why is Sharad Pawar angry? - Jul 20, 2012
- I'll welcome Rahul's entry into government: PM (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
Tags: according to the rules, affairs minister, cabinet minister, corruption charges, development minister, home minister, junior minister, kamal nath, Lok Sabha, maharashtra chief minister, manmohan singh, monsoon session, p chidambaram, pecking order, power minister, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, veerappa, virbhadra singh