Shinde is new Leader of House in Lok Sabha (Lead)August 3rd, 2012 - 9:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 3 (IANS) Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde will be the new leader of the house in the Lok Sabha, replacing Pranab Mukherjee, who is now the country’s president.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister P.K. Bansal said here Friday that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had nominated Shinde to the post.
Shinde, 70, is a Congress MP from Solapur in Maharashtra and is a former chief minister of the state.
Shinde was Monday shifted from power ministry and appointed home minister in place of P. Chidambaram, who became the finance minister.
Party sources said Shinde’s seniority and his cool temperament had worked in his favour for a post that requires constant interaction with the opposition to sort out contentious issues.
Lok Sabha rules state that the leader of the house “shall be the Prime Minister or otherwise a minister nominated by Prime Minister”.
Speculation had been rife about Shinde’s appointment as the leader of the house in the Lok Sabha though 10 Congress MPs had petitioned party president Sonia Gandhi last month that party general secretary Rahul Gandhi should be appointed to the post.
A party MP had suggested that Sonia Gandhi herself should take over the post.
Shinde belongs to the Dalit community and his nomination to the prestigious post is likely to be pitched by Congress leaders as a move towards the community’s empowerment.
- Sonia Gandhi should be leader of Lok Sabha, says Congress MP - Jul 30, 2012
- Chidambaram gets finance again, Shinde becomes home minister (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Shinde is new Lok Sabha leader of the house - Aug 03, 2012
- Sushilkumar Shinde: Ex-cop is India's home minister (Profile) - Jul 31, 2012
- Shinde likely to be new leader of Lok Sabha - Jul 17, 2012
- Chidambaram gets finance again, Shinde becomes home minister (Second Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Shinde debuts as leader of Lok Sabha - Aug 08, 2012
- Aggressive Sonia spurs Congress, forces Advani to retract (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- I'll welcome Rahul's entry into government, says PM (Third Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- I'll welcome Rahul's entry into government: PM (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Hope Rahul takes greater role in government: PM (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- UPA coordination committee to meet Aug 8 (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Nirmal Khatri appointed UP Congress chief (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- UPA coordination panel holds first meeting - Aug 09, 2012
- After Pranab who, ponders Congress (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: affairs minister, bansal, congress leaders, congress mps, contentious issues, finance minister, home minister, Lok Sabha, manmohan singh, p chidambaram, parliamentary affairs, party president, power ministry, pranab mukherjee, prestigious post, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rahul gandhi, solapur, sonia gandhi