Shinde forced to apologise to Jaya Bachchan in Rajya Sabha (Lead)August 9th, 2012 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 9 (IANS) Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde Thursday had to retract his remarks and apologise to Samajwadi Party MP Jaya Bachchan for a remark on her Bollywood background while replying to a discussion in the Rajya Sabha on the violence in Assam.
Shinde, who was responding to the discussion as home minister for the first time, took objection to Bachchan interrupting him and said it was not a subject of films.
“Listen to me, my sister. It is a matter of concern… It is not a subject of film,” Shinde said.
The comment enraged Bachchan and several other members triggering an uproar in the house.
“I strongly object to this comment,” an outraged Bachchan retorted.
She was backed by Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley, who wanted Shinde’s comment to be deleted.
“This is a house where people, who are achievers in a lot of fields, become members. Jayaji is an achiever in her field, the home minister of India cannot use it as a taunt,” he said.
Jaitley said it was a matter of pride that Bachchan was a member of the upper house.
The BJP leader said the home minister should make amends and withdraw his comments so that the house proceedings could resume.
Amid uproar from SP and other opposition members, Shinde tried to clarify his remarks. “I know her whole family, I respect her a lot. I am also from Mumbai.”
The actor-turned-politician refused to be pacified. “I cannot accept this,” Bachchan said.
Shinde then said: “I apologise, she is my sister.” He agreed that the remark should be deleted from the records.
The home minister concluded his reply abruptly amid protests by opposition members. BJP leaders later said the minister had repeated his reply given in the Lok Sabha Wednesday.
A minister later sought to play down the faux pas by the minister, who has replaced Pranab Mukherjee as Leader of the House in the Lok Sabha.
“What he (Shinde) was trying to say was that it (solution to Assam riots) was not like a film which will end in three hours,” the minister told IANS.
- Jaya Bachchan, Shinde trade words in Rajya Sabha - Aug 09, 2012
- Shinde apologises for 'filmy' remark against Bachchan (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Rajya Sabha disrupted as BJP targets Sonia Gandhi (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Aggressive Sonia spurs Congress, forces Advani to retract (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Rekha takes oath in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - May 15, 2012
- Shinde condemns Assam violence - Aug 08, 2012
- Shinde seeks united effort for Assam peace, BJP slams vote-bank politics (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Lokpal bill drowns in Rajya Sabha amid chaos (Roundup) - Dec 30, 2011
- Rajya Sabha adjourned amid chaos, minus Lokpal (Second Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- BJP motion on Assam violence rejected (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Common duty to work for Assam: Shinde - Aug 09, 2012
- Ambika Soni slams BJP for 'obstructionist' tactics - Aug 27, 2012
- Sushilkumar Shinde's smile helps break ice with opposition - Aug 06, 2012
- 'Unparliamentary remarks', staged gunbattles disrupt parliament (Afternoon Lead) - May 05, 2010
- Trouble in Rajya Sabha as BJP targets Sonia (Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,