Shibu moves to Delhi for show of strengthAugust 20th, 2008 - 6:54 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Aug 20 (IANS) Eyeing the post of Jharkhand chief minister, Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) chief Shibu Soren Wednesday went to Delhi to convince United Progressive Alliance (UPA) leaders that he had the numbers to replace Madhu Koda.”In New Delhi, I will meet the UPA leaders. I have the numbers. It is just a formality to form the next government,” Soren told reporters before leaving for New Delhi.
Soren claims support of 45 legislators in the 82-member assembly.
JMM sources said he will try to meet Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and prove his numbers.
Bandhu Tirkey, independent legislator and minister, and Manohar Tekriwal and Vishnu Bhaiya, suspended Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislators, accompanied him on the trip.
JMM leaders here have been meeting the independent legislators who are also ministers in the Koda government to win over their support.
The JMM sources said the independents except Chief Minister Koda and Deputy Chief Minister Stephen Marandi, are in a double mind.
They said two ministers, Bhanu Pratap Sahi and Harinaryan Rai, had agreed to support Soren if he staked claim after the fall of the Koda government.
The independent ministers held a meeting at the chief minister’s residence here and chalked out the strategy for the Aug 25 floor test. The meeting was also attended by Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) legislator Annapurna Devi.
Koda says he is confident of wining the trust vote, necessitated after JMM withdrew support to his government Sunday and reduced it to a minority.
- Pranab campaigns in Jharkhand, Lalu, Paswan also pitch in - Jul 12, 2012
- Soren toiling hard to get magic number - Aug 24, 2008
- Seven Koda ministers lose election - Dec 23, 2009
- Soren set to take power, independents fall in line - Aug 25, 2008
- BJP upset as Jharkhand refuses CBI probe against Koda - Jan 29, 2010
- Shibu Soren to decide JMM's stand on presidential poll - Jun 24, 2012
- Independents cut to size in Jharkhand - Dec 27, 2009
- JMM, AJSU legislators unhappy with Munda government - Oct 17, 2011
- Congress, JVM-P mull government formation without JMM - Dec 25, 2009
- JMM split on choosing between BJP, Congress - Apr 30, 2010
- Four JMM legislators boycott legislative party meeting - Oct 19, 2011
- Soren will seek trust vote on Friday - Aug 28, 2008
- Jharkhand: Political uncertainty as legislator withdraws support (Lead) - Apr 30, 2010
- Hopeful getting Mamata's support, says Pranab (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- Jharkhand legislators against fresh polls - Jun 12, 2010