Shettar to be Karnataka chief minister (Second Lead)July 7th, 2012 - 5:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 7 (IANS) Bowing to pressure from B.S. Yeddyurappa, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Saturday chose Karnataka’s Rural Development Minister Jagadish Shettar to replace Chief Minister D.V. Sadananda Gowda.
The decision was taken at the BJP’s core committee meeting here, according to BJP sources. But an announcement is expected only after Gowda meets party president Nitin Gadkari and senior leader L.K. Advani.
The change in the leadership of the BJP government in Karnataka, the second since the party came to power in 2008, comes after Yeddyurappa, the former chief minister, brought pressure on the party to get Gowda replaced with Shettar.
After the core committee meet, BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said Gowda will meet the party leaders in the evening here after which a formal announcement would be made.
Yeddyurappa had to quit as chief minister July last year after being indicted by the state Lokayukta over a mining scandal and other corruption charges. Gowda was Yeddyurappa’s choice then to replace him.
But after the Karnataka High Court struck down the Lokayukta report with respect to its indictment of Yeddyurappa, he had stepped up efforts to get back as the chief minister.
Gowda, who fell out with Yeddyurappa, wanted the central leadership not to take any decision on removing him as chief minister in haste and contended that he had put in his best to give a corruption-free government.
- Yeddyurappa gets his way, Shettar to be new Karnataka CM (Roundup) - Jul 07, 2012
- Shettar to be Karnataka chief minister (Lead) - Jul 07, 2012
- BJP replaces Gowda with Shettar in Karnataka (Roundup) - Jul 08, 2012
- Shettar is Karnataka's new chief minister (Second Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- Shettar is Karnataka's new chief minister (Evening Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- Shettar to be new Karnataka chief minister - Jul 07, 2012
- Vokkaligas protest Gowda's removal in Karnataka - Jul 09, 2012
- Eight Yeddyurappa loyalists quit Karnataka ministry (Second Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Shettar is Karnataka's new chief minister (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- Will abide by party decision, says Gowda - Jul 07, 2012
- Shettar to be elected Karnataka BJP legislature party leader Tuesday - Jul 09, 2012
- Eight Karnataka ministers quit, demand chief minister's ouster (Third Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Karnataka crisis subsides, nine ministers withdraw resignations (Third Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Hectic efforts on to save Karnataka's BJP government (Second lead) - May 14, 2012
- Karnataka CM-designate Shettar grapples with ministry formation (Evening Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp government, central leadership, chief minister, committee meeting, core committee, corruption charges, development minister, formal announcement, free government, jagadish, karnataka high court, l k advani, lokayukta, nitin, party leaders, party president, prasad, ravi shankar, rural development