Shekhawat calls on VajpayeeJanuary 16th, 2009 - 12:08 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 15 (IANS) Former vice president Bhairon Singh Shekhawat Thursday evening met Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) senior leader Atal Bihari Vajpayee, days after creating a flutter in the party by declaring he will contest the upcoming Lok Sabha elections. Sources close to Shekhawat, who is a veteran political leader from Rajasthan and was with the BJP before becoming the vice president of India, confirmed that he met the former prime minister. But details of what transpired at the meeting were not known.
Shekhawat, 86, put the BJP into a tizzy after his announcement to contest the elections, which many believe is a challenge to the BJP’s prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani.
The former vice president also queered the pitch for the party when he said he was the seniormost leader of BJP. “I am 86, Vajpayee is 83 and Advani 81″ — he has repeated this sentence several times.
Meanwhile, former BJP leader from Madhya Pradesh Uma Bharti and her mentor K. Govindacharya called on Shekhawat, but sources claimed it was a courtesy call.
Bharti, considered to be a firebrand leader, was expelled from the BJP before she set up her own Bharatiya Janshakti Party. Govindacharya also quit the BJP.
In a separate development, BJP president Rajnath Singh met Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS) chief K.S. Sudarshan at the Sangh’s headquarters in Delhi’s Jhandewalan area.
- Advani, Khurshid condole Shekhawat's death - May 15, 2010
- Shekhawat, a vice president and political stalwart liked by all (Obituary) - May 15, 2010
- Former vice president Shekhawat dies at 86 (Second Lead) - May 15, 2010
- Sharad Yadav better than Modi as PM: Govindacharya - Sep 11, 2012
- PM, BJP leaders greet Vajpayee on his 87th birthday - Dec 25, 2011
- Sushma Swaraj meets Jaswant Singh - Aug 31, 2009
- Advani compares 2012 presidential poll to 1969 - Jun 15, 2012
- BJP vague on Jaswant, Uma Bharti's return - May 26, 2010
- Shekhawat was a close friend, says Vajpayee - May 15, 2010
- Sudarshan's anti-Sonia remarks provoke youth Congress protest - Nov 12, 2010
- Bhairon Singh Shekhawat cremated with full state honours (Lead) - May 16, 2010
- Finally, Advani-Gadkari feud out in the open (Third Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- After Uma, Govindacharya quits his organisation - Apr 04, 2010
- Sankaranarayanan, Chavan pay tribute to Shekhawat (Lead) - May 16, 2010
- Shekhawat embarrasses BJP further, says Vajpayee should contest polls (Lead) - Jan 08, 2009
Tags: bhairon singh shekhawat, bharti, bjp leader, courtesy call, former prime minister, former vice president, l k advani, lok sabha elections, mentor, New Delhi, pitch, political leader, president of india, prime ministerial candidate, rajasthan, rajnath singh, s sudarshan, several times, tizzy, vice president of india