Sheikh Hasina congratulates PranabJuly 22nd, 2012 - 11:13 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 22 (IANS) Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina Sunday called up Pranab Mukherjee to congratulateg him on his election as India’s president.
A Bangladesh High Commission spokesman said Hasina called Mukherjee in the evening after he was formally declared president-elect.
Hasina and Bangladesh President M. Zillur Rahman sent separate missives exuding confidence that India-Bangladesh ties would further improve during his tenure.
Hasina, in her message, expressed happiness at Mukherjee becoming the first Bengali to hold the president’s post in post-independence India.
“The well-deserved election of Pranab Mukherjee as the President of India bears the testimony to trust and confidence which the political leadership and the people of India repose in him. It’s also the recognition of vast experience and knowledge that you have gained over the last 50 years in your politics for the people,” the letter read.
“Since our government assumed office in January 2009, it has been an endeavour to explore new opportunities to realise mutual benefits for our two countries and peoples,” she said, hailing Mukherjee’s personal efforts for attaining the same “as a great source of inspiration”.
She also referred to Mukherjee’s steadfast support to the people of Bangladesh “during the days of struggle for the country’s independence in 1971″.
“Since then, your association with Bangladesh and her people has been of a time-tested good friend striving hard to elevate our two countries’ relations to an enviable level,” she added.
- Bangladesh President, PM congratulate Pranab (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Krishna arrives in Dhaka, backs a prosperous Bangladesh (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Rajapaksa hails Mukherjee - Jul 25, 2012
- Bangladesh seeks greater naval exchanges with India - Apr 07, 2011
- Mukherjee greets Zardari on Pakistan's Independence Day - Aug 14, 2012
- Trinamool calls Mulayam a 'traitor', hopes for consensus on Kalam - Jun 15, 2012
- India thanks Bangladesh for honouring 1971 heroes - Apr 04, 2012
- Trinamool should support Pranab to save face: Congress - Jul 16, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee to visit Dhaka in May - Apr 01, 2012
- Delhi wants Dhaka ties to reach 'highest possible peak' - May 06, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi hails Dhaka's anti-terror efforts, receives award (Third Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Former Bengal governor thanks Mamata for mooting his name - Jul 16, 2012
- Manmohan offers India's support for Bangladesh's development - Sep 05, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi receives award on behalf of Indira Gandhi - Jul 25, 2011
- PM's Dhaka visit to bring new deals, new trajectory in ties - Sep 04, 2011
Tags: bangladesh high commission, bengali, commission spokesman, confidence, endeavour, good friend, great source, happiness, inspiration, kolkata, minister sheikh hasina, new opportunities, personal efforts, political leadership, pranab mukherjee, president elect, president of india, prime minister, steadfast support, tenure