Sharad Yadav opposes Advani’s call for compulsory votingMay 1st, 2009 - 12:47 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, May 1 IANS) Janata Dal-United (JD-U) national president Sharad Yadav Friday said he was against alliance partner Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader L.K. Advani’s view that the constitution be amended to fix the term for legislatures and that voting be made compulsory.
“We are against fixing the term for legislatures and make voting compulsory. It is against democratic rights and values,” Sharad Yadav, the convenor of the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA), told reporters.
Reacting to Advani’s statement, Sharad Yadav said: “How can people be forced to vote? Poor people who were struggling to earn a livelihood far from their native places would be hit hard if voting was made compulsory.”
However, he ruled out any chance of the JD-U severing its ties with the NDA and joining any other alliance.
“The JD-U is with the NDA and would continue to be part of it,” said Sharad Yadav.
Advani had said in Ahmedabad Thursday that the constitution must be amended to have a fixed term of five years for the Lok Sabha and state assemblies.
“We must amend the constitution and have a fixed term of five years for the Lok Sabha and the Vidhan Sabha (state legislative assembly). We follow the British pattern where legislatures can be dissolved even before they complete their term. This doesn’t suit us and we need to change it,” the BJP leader had said.
He had also suggested that political parties and the Election Commission should think over whether “we can make voting compulsory”.
- BJP, JD-U to meet on presidential candidate - May 02, 2012
- Jaswant Singh as NDA's vice presidential candidate (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- NDA defers decision on presidential polls (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Pranab miles ahead as NDA squabbles (Roundup) - Jun 17, 2012
- JD-U to support Pranab for presidency - Jun 21, 2012
- Divided BJP discusses option of backing Sangma - Jun 17, 2012
- NDA fails to decide on presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- Supported Pranab as NDA did not gain from 2007 contest: Sharad Yadav (Interview) - Jun 23, 2012
- Nitish Kumar invited to form government, swearing-in Friday (Second Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- Nitish Kumar elected head of NDA legislature party (Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- India needs Pranab as president: Sharad Yadav - Jul 22, 2012
- BJP to discuss vice presidential poll - Jul 14, 2012
- JD-U miffed about last minute news of NDA meet - Jun 14, 2012
- BJP tries to bridge gaps on presidential contest (Lead) - May 02, 2012
Tags: ahmedabad, alliance partner, compulsory voting, convenor, democratic rights, election commission, janata, jd, l k advani, legislative assembly, legislatures, livelihood, Lok Sabha, national democratic alliance, national president, nda, political parties, sharad yadav, state assemblies, vidhan sabha