Sharad Yadav dodges queries on Modi as PM rowJune 20th, 2012 - 2:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 20 (IANS) Amid speculation about the Janata Dal (United) splitting from the NDA over Narendra Modi’s projection as the prime ministerial candidate, JD(U) chief Sharad Yadav Wednesday declined to comment on the prickly issue, saying he had nothing to comment as he was busy with the presidential election.
“I will not comment on it. I am right now busy with the presidential election,” Yadav told reporters when asked whether there was a rift between the JD(U) and the National Democratic Alliance over Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi being pitted as the NDA’s prime ministerial candidate.
When repeatedly asked about the controversy, Yadav refused to be bite the bait, and reiterated that his focus was right now on evolving a consensus NDA candidate for the president.
A day after Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said that the NDA’s prime ministerial candidate should be “secular and liberal,” Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) chief Mohan Bhagwat Wednesday strongly backed Narendra Modi as the NDA combine’s prime ministerial candidate.
“To keep alive the Hindutva ideology, the Hindu ’samaaj’ (society) should come together. And the country should have a prime minister who believes in that ideology or propounds that view,” Bhagwat told reporters in Nagpur.
This sparked speculation about the likely exit of the JD(U) from the NDA.
- RSS backs Narendra Modi as prime ministerial candidate - Jun 20, 2012
- RSS justifies chief's statement on prime ministerial candidate (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- RSS justifies chief's statement on PM candidate (Lead, superseding previous story) - Jun 20, 2012
- Gakari asks party functionaries, allies to exercise restraint - Jun 26, 2012
- War rages in Bihar between BJP, JD-U (Bihar Newsletter) - Jun 23, 2012
- Congress ready for presidential contest - Jun 20, 2012
- Presidential run-up more damaging for BJP than Congress (Comment) - Jun 23, 2012
- Supported Pranab as NDA did not gain from 2007 contest: Sharad Yadav (Interview) - Jun 23, 2012
- Sharad Yadav better than Modi as PM: Govindacharya - Sep 11, 2012
- Sharad Yadav rejects Advani's prediction on 2014 polls - Aug 06, 2012
- Nitish attacks Modi as Shiv Sena backs Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 19, 2012
- Bihar leaders in war of words over PM candidate - Jun 19, 2012
- Bihar's ruling JD-U is against Modi for PM's post - Sep 18, 2011
- BJP core group to meet today, allies divided over presidency (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: bhagwat, chief minister, consensus, controversy, gujarat, hindu, janata, mohan, narendra modi, national democratic alliance, nda, New Delhi, presidential election, prime minister, prime ministerial candidate, queries, rashtriya swayamsevak sangh, sharad yadav, speculation