Sharad Pawar backs Manmohan Singh as PMMay 16th, 2009 - 5:20 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 16 (IANS) Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) chief Sharad Pawar Saturday
endorsed the candidature of Manmohan Singh as the next prime minister.
Expressing satisfaction over the performance of the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA), Pawar said that after the Congress’ performance all its allies will support Manmohan Singh as the prime minister.
When asked about his own aspirations to occupy the top post, Pawar asked: “In view of the results, how could anybody else be a candidate for prime minister?”
Briefly analysing the UPA’s victory, Pawar attributed it to the unexpected performances in Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and West Bengal which changed the entire scenario.
“The way in which the electorate has responded to the Left has also changed the political scenario. However, since the UPA may still need a few more seats, it cannot afford to say no to anybody,” Pawar added when asked about the future role of the Left.
The former Maharashtra chief minister - who bagged the Madha seat by a margin of nearly 200,000 votes - said that the need of the hour was “a stable government” given the current global recession.
“I don’t see any problems in the formation of a stable government. People are confident that only the UPA can provide a stable government, as the available results show,” Pawar said.
So far, the Congress-NCP combine is ahead of the Bharatiya Janata Party-Shiv Sena alliance in the state in. The Congress-NCP has made a clean sweep of all six seats in the country’s commercial capital Mumbai.
- Sharad Pawar backs Manmohan Singh as PM (Lead) - May 16, 2009
- Pawar meets Sonia to discuss 'coalition issues' - Jul 20, 2012
- Unhappy Pawar, Patel offer to quit (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Ally trouble continues to dog Congress - Jul 21, 2012
- Ally trouble continues to dog Congress (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- NCP to stay in UPA but attend no function, skips PM's dinner (Roundup) - Jul 23, 2012
- Maharashtra Congress goes into huddle over NCP's stance - Jul 23, 2012
- I will contest presidential elections: Sangma - Jun 15, 2012
- NCP targets Congress on unspent funds in Maharashtra - Jul 20, 2012
- Congress, NCP tie up for Maharashtra civic polls - Nov 23, 2011
- Court has not blamed PM in 2G scam: Pawar - Feb 03, 2012
- Congress tries hard to mollify NCP, Pawar unswayed (Intro Roundup) - Jul 21, 2012
- Ready to talk to NCP: Manmohan Singh - Jul 25, 2012
- PM willing to talk to NCP 'on any issue' (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Congress, NCP score well in five civic bodies' polls - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: aspirations, bharatiya janata party, candidature, clean sweep, congress ncp, electorate, future role, global recession, maharashtra chief minister, manmohan, manmohan singh, mumbai, nationalist congress party, political scenario, prime minister, progressive alliance, sharad pawar, stable government, UPA, west bengal