Sharad Pawar backs Manmohan Singh as PM (Lead)May 16th, 2009 - 7:10 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 16 (IANS) Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) chief Sharad Pawar Saturday endorsed the candidature of Manmohan Singh as the next prime minister.
Expressing satisfaction over the performance of the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA), Pawar said that after the Congress’ performance all its allies will support Manmohan Singh as the prime minister.
When asked about his own aspirations to occupy the top post, Pawar countered: “In view of the results, how could anybody else be a candidate for prime minister?”
Pawar attributed UPA’s victory to the unexpected performances in Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and West Bengal.
“The way in which the electorate has responded to the Left has also changed the political scenario. However, since the UPA may still need a few more seats, it cannot afford to say no to anybody,” Pawar added when asked about the future role of the Left.
The former Maharashtra chief minister - who bagged the Madha seat by a margin of nearly 200,000 votes - said that the need of the hour was “a stable government” in the current global recession.
“I don’t see any problems in the formation of a stable government. People are confident that only the UPA can provide it, as the results show,” Pawar said.
So far, the Congress-NCP combine is ahead of the Bharatiya Janata Party-Shiv Sena alliance in the state. The Congress-NCP has made a clean sweep of all six seats in the country’s commercial capital Mumbai.
- Sharad Pawar backs Manmohan Singh as PM - May 16, 2009
- Pawar meets Sonia to discuss 'coalition issues' - Jul 20, 2012
- Ally trouble continues to dog Congress (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI triumphs in Mumbai, Thane civic polls; MNS gains (Intro Roundup) - Feb 17, 2012
- NCP to stay in UPA but attend no function, skips PM's dinner (Roundup) - Jul 23, 2012
- Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI triumphs in Mumbai, Thane civic polls; MNS gains (Roundup) - Feb 17, 2012
- Jubilance and disappointment after Maharashtra civic polls results - Feb 17, 2012
- Congress, NCP tie up for Maharashtra civic polls - Nov 23, 2011
- Unhappy Pawar, Patel offer to quit (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Sena-BJP combine triumph in Mumbai, Thane civic polls, MNS gains (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Sangma quits NCP, set to take on Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2012
- Ally trouble continues to dog Congress - Jul 21, 2012
- I will contest presidential elections: Sangma - Jun 15, 2012
- Sena-BJP-RPI 'Grand Alliance' ready for Mumbai civic polls - Jan 12, 2012
- Sangma is candidate of communal forces: NCP (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: allies, aspirations, bharatiya janata party, candidature, clean sweep, congress ncp, electorate, future role, global recession, maharashtra chief minister, manmohan, manmohan singh, nationalist congress party, political scenario, prime minister, progressive alliance, sharad pawar, stable government, UPA, west bengal