Shameful, says Karat of money display in parliamentJuly 22nd, 2008 - 6:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 22 (IANS) Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) general secretary Prakash Karat Tuesday termed as “shameful” the display in parliament of bundles of money by MPs of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) who alleged the government’s supporters had attempted to bribe them ahead of a crucial trust vote. “It is against all parliamentary norms,” Karat told reporters shortly after the Lok Sabha was adjourned following the three BJP MPs - Ashok Argal, Faggan Singh Kulaste and Mahavir Bhagora - displaying wads of Rs.1,000 notes in the house.
“What has happened is shameful…we have to save democracy,” said Karat, whose CPI-M and three other Left parties had withdrawn support to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s government, prompting the trust vote.
Karat, however, did not seem surprised at the bribery charge, saying: “Attempts have been made in the past 48 to win over opposition MPs.”
“No, I can’t give any details,” he replied in response to a question as to who he thought the bribe-givers were.
According to BJP leader and Leader of Opposition L.K. Advani, the three MPs had been given Rs.10 million each as an “advance” to abstain from voting on the trust motion. They had promised another Rs.20 million each after the vote.
Advani’s remarks came soon after the Lok Sabha was adjourned at a little after 4 p.m.
- Whistleblowers should be protected: Advani - Sep 17, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Order on bail plea of five accused Nov 16 (Lead) - Nov 14, 2011
- Expose beneficiaries of cash-for-vote: Kulkarni - Nov 18, 2011
- Cash-for-vote 'heroes' should have been given Padma awards: Venkaiah - Oct 21, 2011
- Government protecting corrupt ministers: Advani - Oct 03, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Government indeed tried to buy MPs, says BJP - Nov 17, 2011
- Gadkari meets jailed party colleagues in Tihar - Oct 31, 2011
- Working on cash-for-votes money trail, cops tell court - May 10, 2012
- Cash-for-vote: Non-bailable warrant against Hindustani - Aug 14, 2012
- Cash-for-vote: Cops furnish CD transcripts to accused - May 26, 2012
- Police response sought on bail plea of Amar Singh's ex-aide (Lead) - Nov 09, 2011
- Court pulls up cash-for-vote accused for wearing sunglasses - May 28, 2012
- Amar Singh's bail pleas to be heard Oct 19 - Oct 18, 2011
- Meira Kumar sanctions prosecution of BJP MP Ashok Argal (Lead) - Sep 30, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: BJP MP exempted from attending court - Nov 01, 2011
Tags: argal, ashok, bharatiya janata party, bjp, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, l k advmanmohan singh, leader of opposition, left parties, Lok Sabha, mahavir, manmohan, opposition mps, prakash karat, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, trust motion, trust vote, wads