Shahbaz Sharif files nomination papers for by-electionsMay 5th, 2008 - 6:33 pm ICT by admin
Islamabad, May 5 (Xinhua) Shahbaz Sharif, president of the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), Monday filed his nomination papers to contest the June 18 by-elections, Geo TV reported. Shahbaz Sharif, younger brother of former prime minister and PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif, will contest the by-elections from two constituencies in Lahore, the report said.
Earlier last year, Shahbaz and Nawaz Sharif had submitted their nomination papers to contest the general elections but were turned down by the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP).
ECP said the Sharif brothers were not eligible to contest the elections as they were facing charges. The general elections were held on Feb 18.
Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) and PML-N emerged as the two largest parties in the National Assembly - the lower house of parliament. The two parties agreed to form a coalition federal government March 9.
Media reports Monday said Nawaz Sharif was not likely to contest the by-elections and PPP co-chairman Asif Ali Zardari will also stay away from the June 18 elections.
- Lahore High Court dismisses plea challenging Nawaz Sharif's electoral eligibility - Feb 17, 2010
- It's monarchy in Pakistan, not democracy, says Imran - Dec 17, 2011
- Nawaz Sharif re-elected PML-N president - Jul 27, 2011
- After threat to Zardari, PML-N offices set ablaze - Oct 30, 2011
- Nawaz Sharif begins fresh term as party chief - Jul 28, 2011
- Pakistan's ruling party, PML-Q try to corner Nawaz Sharif - Oct 27, 2010
- Nawaz Sharif to challenge Pakistani Kashmir voters list - Jun 28, 2011
- PML-N decides to remove PPP ministers from Pak Punjab govt - Feb 23, 2011
- PML-N, MQM form alliance against Pakistan government - Jul 06, 2011
- Breakthrough eludes Gilani in Pakistan's political crisis (Lead) - Jan 03, 2011
- PML-N unlikely to demand Zardari's resignation over NRO - Dec 21, 2009
- Raja Pervez Ashraf elected Pakistan's 25th PM (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- PPP ready to face any challenge: Zardari - Sep 23, 2010
- PML-N all set to dump PPP in Punjab over 10-point reforms agenda - Feb 21, 2011
- PPP, MQM, ANP criticise Pak Punjab CM over Sindh proposal - Apr 25, 2011
Tags: asif ali zardari, co chairman, constituencies, ecp, election commission of pakistan, former prime minister, general elections, geo tv, house of parliament, islamabad, national assembly, nawaz sharif, nomination papers, pakistan muslim league, pakistan muslim league nawaz, pakistan peoples party, pml n, ppp, shahbaz sharif, xinhua