Shahabuddin’s wife files nomination from Bihar’s SiwanMarch 30th, 2009 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, March 30 (IANS) Hina Sahab, wife of jailed Siwan MP Mohammad Shahabuddin, Monday filed her nomination papers as the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) candidate from the Siwan constituency.
She was accompanied by Railways Minister and RJD chief Lalu Prasad and hundreds of party workers and supporters, who shouted slogans in support of her husband Shahabuddin, currently lodged in Siwan jail.
The RJD had nominated Hina Sahab to contest from Siwan before the Patna High Court dismissed his plea to suspend his conviction in a criminal case so that he could contest the Lok Sabha elections.
Shahabuddin was convicted May 5, 2007, for kidnapping and trying to kill a Communist Party of India-Marxist Leninist (CPI-ML) activist, Chhote Lal, in 1999. The court August 2007 sentenced him to 10 years in jail.
Under the country’s electoral laws, anyone convicted of a criminal offence and sentenced to jail for more than two years is barred from contesting elections.
Shahabuddin was also convicted in 2006 for carrying out an armed raid on the CPI-ML office in 1998 and sentenced to a two-year jail term. However, his conviction in this case does not affect his right to contest an election.
–Indo-Asian News service
- Three get life term for former JNU student leader's murder - Mar 23, 2012
- Is Nitish Kumar wooing tainted politicians for polls? - Jul 15, 2010
- Shahabuddin's poll hopes dashed by Patna High Court - Mar 24, 2009
- Hear Shahabuddin plea before March 30: Apex court to Patna High Court - Mar 23, 2009
- Shahabuddin seeks suspension of conviction to contest polls (Lead) - Mar 19, 2009
- Apex court asks Patna High Court to hear Shahabuddin - Mar 23, 2009
- Shahabuddin gets bail in arms act case - Aug 06, 2008
- Court turns down Pappu Yadav's plea to contest poll - Apr 02, 2009
- Shahabuddin gets another 10-year term in jail - Sep 26, 2008
- Bihar polls: Voting under way for third phase (Second Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Bihar polls: Test of governance, rule of law in phase three - Oct 27, 2010
- CPI-ML to move apex court against massacre case acquittal - Apr 20, 2012
- Judge hearing cases against MP Shahabuddin transferred - Jun 19, 2008
- Jailed RJD MP to vote in trust motion - Jul 16, 2008
- Bihar seeks bail cancellation of 101 criminals - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: asian news, bihar, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, constituency, CPI, criminal case, criminal offence, electoral laws, jail term, janata, lal, lalu prasad, lok sabha elections, marxist leninist, mohammad, nomination papers, patna high court, shahabuddin, siwan