SGPC sets up panel to save BhullarMay 30th, 2011 - 11:54 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, May 30 (IANS) The Shiromani Gurudwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC), the mini-parliament of Sikhs, Monday set up a committee to file a review petition for saving the life of Khalistani terrorist Devender Pal Singh Bhullar facing the gallows.
SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar will head this committee.
“We have formed a high-power committee to look into the case of Bhullar. We would take the help of top lawyers of the Supreme Court of India and would file a review petition before the authorities concerned,” said Makkar late Monday.
Besides Makkar, other members of the committee are SGPC general secretary Sukhdev Singh Bhaur, executive members Rajinder Singh Mehta and Surjit Singh, and members R.S. Dhami and Jaswant Singh.
“We will soon leave for Delhi and are already in touch with top lawyers. SGPC would make sure that justice is done in this case,” Makkar added.
Bhullar, whose mercy petition was rejected by President Pratibha Patil recently, is a Khalistan Liberation Force (KLF) terrorist sentenced to death for a 1993 car bomb attack that killed 12 people and injured 29, including former Youth Congress chief M.S. Bitta.
Punjab’s ruling Shiromani Akali Dal government Sunday had sought the intervention of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to save the life of Bhullar.
Convicted in 2001, Bhullar’s mercy petition was pending with the president since January 2003.
Bhullar was the mastermind of a car bomb attack on Bitta in front of the 5, Raisina Road office of the Youth Congress Sep 11, 1993. The daring RDX blast in the heart of New Delhi had shocked the nation.
Bhullar was deported to India from Germany in 1995 and has been lodged in the high security ward in the Tihar Jail.
He was sentenced to death Aug 25, 2001 and the Supreme Court dismissed his special leave petition Dec 27, 2006.
- 'Save Bhullar' campaign picking up in Punjab - Jun 22, 2011
- Bitta condemns Akali Dal, Congress over Bhullar - May 31, 2011
- Akali Dal wants PM to intervene in Bhullar case - May 29, 2011
- Mercy plea of Khalistan terrorist on death row rejected - May 26, 2011
- Sikhs protest at Indian embassy in Berlin to save Bhullar - Jun 20, 2011
- EU opposes death to Bhullar, writes to Chidambaram - Jun 17, 2011
- President rejects mercy plea of Khalistan terrorist on death row (Second Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Mercy plea of Khalistan terrorist on death row rejected (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- BJP not to support Akali Dal on Bhullar clemency - Sep 23, 2011
- Amarinder questions Badal's stand on Bhullar clemency - Sep 25, 2011
- Badal urges PM for clemency to Bhullar - Aug 26, 2011
- Delay on Bhullar's mercy plea no cruelty, apex court told - Oct 19, 2011
- Sikh rally at UN for Bhullar's clemency - Jul 26, 2011
- Apex court calls for files of 18 mercy pleas (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Apex court seeks details of mercy pleas decided in 2011 (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
Tags: avtar singh, bitta, car bomb attack, congress chief, devender, dhami, jaswant singh, makkar, manmohan singh, mercy petition, power committee, president pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sgpc, sukhdev, supreme court of india, surjit singh, tihar jail, youth congress