Seven killed in attack on Somali parliament: ReportApril 26th, 2009 - 5:10 pm ICT by IANS
Nairobi/Mogadishu, April 26 (DPA) At least seven people have been killed in an attack by armed militias on the parliament building of Somalia, media reports said Sunday.
At least three mortar shells struck the building in an attack coming shortly after deputies had met to debate the government’s new budget proposals Saturday, the Radion Garowe radio reported.
Parliamentary speaker Aden Madobe said no deputies were injured, but among those killed was a security official. Other mortar shells struck nearby apartment buildings and a student dormitory, killing a number of pupils. About 15 people were wounded, the report said.
As of Sunday, no group had claimed responsibility for the attack.
Several radical Islamic militia groups in Somalia are boycotting the peace process of President Sheikh Sharif Ahmed and are continuing their armed activities even though Sheikh Sharif introduced Islamic law several weeks ago and with the help of religious leaders has sought to establish dialogue with the radical groups.
- 20 dead in Mogadishu fighting - Jun 19, 2010
- Somali Islamists storm broadcaster - Sep 20, 2010
- Politicians among 60 dead in Somalia clashes (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Twenty-five killed in fighting in Somalia - May 11, 2009
- Somali radio quiz winners offered grenades, guns and ammunition - Oct 18, 2009
- 10 politicians among 42 dead in Somalia clashes (Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Somali insurgents back Al Qaeda, clashes claim 16 lives - Feb 01, 2010
- Somali military chief replaced amid insurgent push - May 16, 2009
- UN condemns Somalia suicide attack - Oct 05, 2011
- Islamist rebels receiving weapons from Yemen: Somali minister - Jan 04, 2010
- Four peacekeepers killed in Somalia - Aug 30, 2010
- Unicef concerned over escalating conflict in Somalia - Nov 16, 2011
- Al-Shabaab militants withdraw from Somali capital - Aug 07, 2011
- Senior Al Qaeda man killed in Somalia - Feb 10, 2010
- Somali insurgents capture key town near Mogadishu - May 17, 2009
Tags: aden, apartment buildings, budget proposals, deputies, garowe, islamic law, islamic militia, militia groups, militias, mogadishu, mortar shells, nearby apartment, parliament building, parliament report, parliamentary speaker, peace process, radical groups, radion, somali parliament, student dormitory