Separatist shutdown hits Kashmir to protest Sonia visitMay 29th, 2010 - 2:08 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, May 29 (IANS) Life across the Kashmir Valley was affected Saturday by a shutdown called by hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani on a day Congress president Sonia Gandhi is visiting the state. Authorities have imposed restrictions in the old city areas of Srinagar.
Geelani has called the shutdown against the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) chairperson’s visit to the state.
Gandhi is to inaugurate a tribal cultural centre in Jammu and address a function organised by the Gujjar community there. She had earlier cancelled the Srinagar leg of her visit.
Shops, other business establishments, educational institutions and public transport remained off the roads and attendance in government offices and banks was low in Srinagar city.
Authorities made heavy deployment of police and paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) in sensitive areas falling under five police stations of Khanyar, Rainawari, Nowhatta, Maharajgunj and Safa Kadal of the old city to ensure law and order.
“Preventive measures have been taken to protect civilian life and property,” a police officer said here.
Reports reaching here from other district headquarters of Ganderbal, Bandipora, Kupwara, Badgam, Baramulla, Pulwama, Shopian and Kulgam also indicated that life had been adversely affected there by the separatist shutdown.
- Separatist shutdown hits life in Kashmir Valley (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Separatist shutdown mars life in Kashmir - Jul 28, 2012
- Separatist shutdown hits life across Kashmir - Aug 03, 2011
- Kashmir shuts to protest anti-Islam video - Sep 18, 2012
- Separatists shutdown affects life in Kashmir - Feb 07, 2012
- Shutdown call by traders affects life in Srinagar (With Image) - Jan 06, 2012
- Stray incident apart, Eid prayers offered peacefully in Kashmir - Aug 20, 2012
- Separatist shutdown stalls life in Kashmir - Apr 23, 2010
- Restrictions affect life in Srinagar on martyrs' day - Jul 13, 2011
- Restrictions, shutdown cripple Srinagar - Jun 21, 2010
- Curfew in Srinagar to prevent separatist march - Jul 16, 2010
- Curfew clamped in parts of Kashmir Valley - Oct 29, 2010
- Separatist shutdown, official curbs mar Srinagar life - May 21, 2012
- Two dozen injured in Kashmir clashes (Lead) - Jul 16, 2010
- Bunker removal process starts in Srinagar - Oct 05, 2010
Tags: business establishments, city areas, city authorities, congress president sonia gandhi, crpf, district headquarters, educational institutions, geelani, jammu, kadal, kashmir valley, police stations, preventive measures, progressive alliance, reserve police, sensitive areas, separatist leader, sonia visit, srinagar, state authorities