Separatist leader held, released in Kashmir (Lead)June 17th, 2010 - 8:25 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 17 (IANS) Moderate Hurriyat leader Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and his associates were arrested and later released Thursday by police in this Jammu and Kashmir summer capital.
Mirwaiz, chairman of the moderate Hurriyat group, Abdul Gani Bhat, former chairman of the Hurriyat, Bilal Gani Lone of the People’s conference and Nayeem Khan of National Front were released from Kothibagh police station late in the afternoon.
The Mirwaiz was held earlier in the day as he was leading a protest march to the headquarters of the United Nations Military Observers Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) in Sonawar locality.
The Mirwaiz was scheduled to present a memorandum to the UN office protesting the alleged rights violations by the security forces in Kashmir.
Immediately after the news of his arrest spread in the city, some shops in the old city were closed down, but soon after his release things returned to normal in the area that are seen as the strong bastions of the Mirwaiz family.
- Thousands join funeral of slain Kashmiri religious leader - Apr 08, 2011
- Clash at Hurriyat seminar in Kashmir - May 20, 2012
- Chinks in Mirwaiz-led Hurriyat Conference? - May 07, 2012
- Mirwaiz Farooq arrested in Srinagar - Jun 17, 2010
- Kashmir cleric opposing stone throwing killed in blast (Roundup) - Apr 09, 2011
- Moderate Hurriyat issues notice to three leaders - Jun 01, 2012
- Yasin Malik wants judicial probe into valley unrest deaths - Jan 04, 2011
- Separatist leader Abdul Gani Bhat admits separatist leaders killed by his own people - Jan 03, 2011
- Separatist leaders put under house arrest in Srinagar - Jul 27, 2012
- Separatist shutdown affects life in Srinagar - May 21, 2011
- Geelani, Mirwaiz placed under house arrest - May 27, 2011
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in Kashmir peacefully - Aug 31, 2011
- Hurriyat revokes suspension of Ittehadul Muslimeen - Jun 02, 2011
- Shabir Shah arrested, Mirwaiz free to move around (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- My brother too was killed by separatists, says Bhat (Lead) - Jan 03, 2011
Tags: bastions, farooq, hurriyat leader, india and pakistan, jammu, kashmir, locality, memorandum, military observers, police station, protest march, security forces, separatist leader, united nations, unmogip