Senior separatist leaders under house arrest in SrinagarApril 24th, 2009 - 1:35 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, April 24 (IANS) Senior separatist leaders, including head of the moderate faction of the Hurriyat Conference Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, were Friday placed under house arrest to avoid “law and order problems”, police in this summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir said.
While the Mirwaiz was restrained by security forces from moving out of his Nageen residence, Syed Ali Geelani, chief of the hardline faction of the Hurriyat, was placed under house arrest in his uptown Hyderpora residence.
The movements of Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chief Muhammad Yasin Malik and National Front’s Nayeen Khan were also restricted.
Protests by separatists after the Friday prayers in Srinagar and other major towns of the valley are virtually a weekly affair and often turn violent.
The Mirwaiz Thursday announced his group’s decision to call for a poll boycott while the JKLF and the Geelani group of the Hurriyat have already asked the locals not to participate in the Lok Sabha elections here.
“Miscreants usually resort to heavy stone pelting at the security forces and try to create law and order problems for the peace loving citizens. Our purpose is to prevent the miscreants from hijacking the normal activities of the law abiding citizens here,” a police official said.
- Geelani, Mirwaiz placed under house arrest - May 27, 2011
- Shutdown in Srinagar on JKLF founder's death anniversary - Feb 11, 2011
- Separatist leaders put under house arrest in Srinagar - Jul 27, 2012
- EU delegation meets Kashmiri separatist leaders - Apr 19, 2010
- Srinagar shuts to protest religious leader's killing - Apr 09, 2011
- Geelani, Mirwaiz detained in Kashmir (Lead) - Jun 24, 2010
- Geelani booked under Public Safety Act - Jun 24, 2010
- Only dialogue can solve Kashmir problem: Jethmalani - Jun 02, 2011
- Geelani under house arrest - Jun 10, 2011
- Paswan to call on Geelani - Sep 21, 2010
- Geelani, Shabir Shah placed under house arrest - Jul 29, 2011
- Restrictions in Srinagar to foil separatist march - Jul 13, 2011
- Clash at Hurriyat seminar in Kashmir - May 20, 2012
- Separatist leaders under house arrest in Srinagar - Aug 02, 2011
- Kashmir must join India-Pakistan dialogue: Separatists (Second Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
Tags: abiding citizens, farooq, geelani, heavy stone, house arrest, hurriyat conference, jammu and kashmir, kashmir liberation, law and order, liberation front, lok sabha elections, loving citizens, miscreants, muhammad yasin, police official, poll boycott, separatist leaders, separatists, srinagar, yasin malik