Senior Punjab minister killed in car-trucks crash (Second Lead)March 29th, 2009 - 11:18 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, March 29 (IANS) Punjab’s Cooperation Minister and senior Akali Dal leader Kanwaljit Singh was killed after his car hit two trucks in Mohali district Sunday evening.
Singh was rushed to the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) here in a critical condition, his aides said. Doctors tried to revive the injured minister but failed.
He was declared dead around 8.30 p.m., nearly three hours after the accident.
The Punjab government’s media adviser Harcharan Bains and Akali Dal leader D.S. Cheema confirmed the minister’s death.
The state government asked the divisional commissioner to probe the accident and declared a three-day state mourning.
The accident, involving the minister’s Hyundai Elantra car and two trucks, took place near a village near Landran town in Mohali district, 25 km from here, when he was going for an election meeting.
Mohali district police chief Jatinder Singh Aulakh told IANS that the minister was rushed to the PGIMER after the accident.
Singh’s driver and gunman were also injured in the accident.
Singh, 66, a three-time minister, was one of the senior-most ministers in the Parkash Singh Badal-led government.
Suave and articulate, Singh was considered closest to Badal till three years ago and was often seen in Akali Dal circles as Badal’s successor. However, Badal last year chose his son Sukhbir Badal over other top Akali leaders and elevated him as the Akali Dal president.
In January this year, Badal junior was also elevated as deputy chief minister, overlooking the seniority of other Akali leaders, including Kanwaljit Singh, in the state cabinet.
Singh, a former army captain (short service commission), represented the Banur assembly segment in the Punjab assembly four times.
Before taking charge of the cooperation department, he had held the portfolios of home and finance.
Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, Deputy Chief Minister and Akali Dal president Sukhbir Badal and several other leaders condoled the death of Kanwaljit Singh.
- Senior Punjab minister killed in car-trucks crash (Lead) - Mar 29, 2009
- Badal stakes claim, invited to form government (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- Parkash Singh Badal set to again be Punjab chief minister (Lead) - Mar 08, 2012
- Badal's wife passes away, cremation Wednesday (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Badal's wife passes away after prolonged illness - May 24, 2011
- Badal vs Badal: who will be Punjab chief minister? - Mar 06, 2012
- Thousands attend Surinder Badal's cremation - May 25, 2011
- Punjab legislator dies - Mar 04, 2012
- 'Parkash Singh Badal to be chief minister' - Mar 08, 2012
- Punjab minister seriously injured in car-truck crash - Mar 29, 2009
- Day after win, Badals pray at Golden Temple - Mar 07, 2012
- Polling begins for by-elections in 3 Punjab assembly seats - Aug 03, 2009
- Sukhbir's stamp all over Badal government (Punjab Newsletter) - Mar 17, 2012
- Akalis sweep Punjab by-polls, Sukhbir Badal triumphs (Lead) - Aug 06, 2009
- A long relationship ends in Punjab's first family (Letter From Chandigarh) - Oct 23, 2010
Tags: akali dal, akali leaders, army captain, aulakh, deputy chief minister, district police, divisional commissioner, finance chief, graduate institute, hyundai elantra, jatinder singh, kanwaljit singh, media adviser, parkash singh badal, punjab government, punjab minister, s driver, s media, state cabinet, time minister