Senior Fatah, Hamas leaders meet in GazaApril 9th, 2009 - 1:41 am ICT by IANS
Gaza, April 9 (DPA) Leaders of the rival Hamas and Fatah movements held a meeting in Hamas-ruled Gaza Wednesday to discuss reconstruction of the Gaza Strip and mutual reconciliation.
The meeting between the two movements’ leaders is the first of its kind since Hamas’s takeover of the Gaza Strip in the summer of 2007 following weeks of bloodshed between the two groups’ warring militants.
Four Fatah leaders, headed by Abdallah el-Ifranji arrived at the office of Hamas spokesman in Gaza Ayman Taha to hold talks with four Hamas leaders headed by senior Hamas leader Salah el-Bardawil.
On Tuesday, Palestinian National Authority President Mahmoud Abbas sent el-Ifranji and another Fatah leader to the Gaza Strip to look at the damage caused by a 22-day Israeli military offensive on the enclave that ended Jan 18.
A series of talks were held in Cairo last month between the two movements as well as with leaders of other Palestinian factions, but these failed to agree on the outstanding issues, mainly the formation of a new unity government.
After Hamas took control of Gaza, Abbas sacked the Hamas national unity government and nominated a new government headed by Salam Fayyad. Hamas kept its government in Gaza and rejected Abbas’ decree.
Fatah and Hamas have also agreed to hold another meeting in Cairo April 26.
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Hamas, Fatah to finalise unity government talks next week - Jun 15, 2011
- Early Palestinian elections to be proposed - Oct 02, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah leaders to finalize reconciliation deal - Oct 13, 2011
- Palestinian PM resigns for government reshuffle - Feb 14, 2011
- Palestinian's national unity government likely in ten days: official - May 28, 2011
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- Palestine: Fatah, Hamas reach agreement on reconciliation - Apr 28, 2011
- Hamas announces the formation of new Gaza government - Mar 11, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah sign reconciliation deal - May 05, 2011
- Hundreds of Palestinians celebrate unity deal - May 04, 2011
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
Tags: abdallah, authority president mahmoud abbas, ayman, bloodshed, cairo, dpa, enclave, fatah, fatah leader, gaza strip, hamas, hamas and fatah, hamas leader, mahmoud abbas, militants, national unity government, palestinian factions, palestinian national authority, president mahmoud abbas, salam fayyad