Senator Kennedy suffers seizure during Obama’s luncheon (Lead)January 21st, 2009 - 6:26 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 21 (IANS) Long-time US Senator Edward M. Kennedy, who is battling brain cancer since May, collapsed in the middle of the Inauguration Day luncheon honouring President Obama Tuesday, according to media reports. Kennedy, 76, the last surviving brother of former president John F. Kennedy, suffered a seizure shortly before 3 p.m. just after Obama took oath as the president, and was taken from the Satatuary Hall in the Capitol in a wheelchair, CNN reported.
The news put a damper on the spirits of Obama’s historic inauguration celebration.
In remarks of the veteran senator, a visibly shaken Obama said: “I would be lying to you if I did not say that right now a part of me is with him.”
“This is a joyous time, but also a sobering time. Our prayers are with him and his wife, Vicki,” he said.
Kennedy was awake and talking at Washington Hospital Center, where he was taken for observation. With him were his wife, Victoria, and his son, Representative Patrick Kennedy, Democrat of Rhode Island.
A hospital spokeswoman said Kennedy was awake and answering questions as he was being assessed, the report said.
Kennedy, the third-longest serving senator in US history, underwent surgery in June for a malignant brain tumour. He had since returned to work in Congress but on a limited schedule.
According to Democratic Senator Jay Rockefeller, the room had fallen silent, the lights dimmed and a crowd formed around Kennedy at the moment of his seizure.
President Obama went to Kennedy “immediately, to be helpful” after realizing that he had become ill, Rockefeller told reporters.
Earlier, media reports said that West Virginia Senator Robert Byrd, 91, the oldest and longest-serving member of Congress fell ill and medical attention was sought.
But, Byrd’s office subsequently said that he was fine.
- Longest serving US Senator Byrd dies at 92 - Jun 29, 2010
- West Virginian Governor, Joe Manchin, Triumphs In The Democratic Primary And Will Be A Senatorial Candidate Of The Democrats - Aug 30, 2010
- Ted Kennedy dies of brain cancer aged 77 (Part-I) - Aug 26, 2009
- Carte Goodwin sworn in to replace late Senator Byrd - Jul 21, 2010
- Senator Edward Kennedy's death ends `historic' US chapter (Roundup) - Aug 26, 2009
- Universal health coverage close to reality: Obama - Dec 24, 2009
- Ted Kennedy 'arranged to rent brothel in Latin America' - Mar 01, 2011
- Senator Kennedy released from hospital - Jan 22, 2009
- Senator Kennedy's death ends `historic' US chapter (Second Lead) - Aug 26, 2009
- Obama mourns Kennedy's demise - Aug 27, 2009
- Robert Byrd's Successor Yet To Be Named - Jun 29, 2010
- Byrd's Successor Not Named As Yet - Jun 29, 2010
- "Partisan game playing" by Republicans delays unemployment insurance extension - Jul 22, 2010
- RIP Ted Kennedy: Lion of the Senate at peace - Aug 26, 2009
- Governor Joe Manchin refuses to appoint himself as Sen. Byrd's successor - Jun 29, 2010
Tags: brain cancer, brain tumour, cnn, edward m kennedy, hospital spokeswoman, inauguration day, jay rockefeller, joyous time, malignant brain, member of congress, patrick kennedy, president john f kennedy, representative patrick kennedy, senator edward, senator jay rockefeller, senator kennedy, senator robert byrd, veteran senator, wife vicki, wife victoria