Senator Evan Bayh all set to retireFebruary 16th, 2010 - 9:18 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington, Feb 16 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Senator Evan Bayh announced that he is thinking about retirement, and he will not seek a third term in Congress. He is a centrist Democrat from Indiana. “To put it in words I think most people can understand: I love working for the people of Indiana, I love helping our citizens make the most of their lives, but I do not love Congress,” Bayh said at a news conference in Indianapolis. At the news conference his family was by his side, which included his wife and his 2 sons as well.
Sen. Evan Bayh was on a list of President Barack Obama’s vice presidential candidate prospects in 2008. Bayh’s retirement is the latest in the series of other politicians who have called it quits, like veteran Democrats Christopher Dodd of Connecticut and Patrick Kennedy of Rhode Island. His retirement announcement has naturally shaken up the political circuit, and there are various claimants to his about-to-be empty seat already.
Barack Obama said in a statement that he is sad at Evan Bayh’s decision, as he has always fought tirelessly for the working families of Indiana. His roles and challenges ranged from creating jobs, to fiscal responsibility and even national security. In response to his statement by the US President Evan Bayh said that he values his independence and that his decision ought to be taken in the right spirit.
- President Obama responds to Sen. Bayh's decision to not seek re-election - Feb 16, 2010
- Evan Bayh Says No To Re-Election - Feb 16, 2010
- Will John Mellencamp Be 'Twittered' Into A Senate Seat? - Feb 20, 2010
- Democrat Senator Evan Bayh not seeking third term in the U.S. Senate - Feb 16, 2010
- Bayh not seeking re-election can hamper Democrat's prospects in US Senate - Feb 16, 2010
- U.S. House Democrat Brad Ellsworth to support his party's health care plan - Mar 20, 2010
- Romney sweeps five states, readies to battle Obama - Apr 25, 2012
- Obama mourns Ghanian president's death - Jul 25, 2012
- Dan Coats Raises Republican Hopes - Nov 03, 2010
- Obama endorses gay marriage - May 10, 2012
- Celebrity journalist says he never talked to Hawaii Gov about Obama birth certificate - Jan 27, 2011
- Connecticut Senator Chris Dodd May Bow Out Of The Political Arena - Jan 06, 2010
- Wall Street protests taking on a political hue - Oct 23, 2011
- Democratic gov candidate asks Obama to 'take endorsement and shove it' - Oct 26, 2010
- Obama does not disclose his vice president pick (Lead) - Aug 22, 2008
Tags: barack obama, centrist democrat, christopher dodd, claimants, congress, empty seat, evan bayh, fiscal responsibility, indianapolis, national security, news conference, patrick kennedy, politicians, presidential candidate, prospects, retirement announcement, rhode island, senator evan bayh, veteran democrats, working families