Senator Edward Kennedy dies at 77 (Lead)August 26th, 2009 - 1:39 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 26 (DPA) US Senator Edward Kennedy, who became the Kennedy family’s political standard bearer after his brothers, president John F. Kennedy and senator Robert Kennedy, were assassinated, has died at 77 after battling brain cancer.
His family released a statement announcing his death late Tuesday at his home in Hyannis Port, Massachusetts.
The youngest Kennedy brother, also known as “Teddy”, was one of the longest serving US senators, spending 46 years in the chamber, where he was known as a liberal lion.
He was diagnosed with brain cancer in May 2008.
“Edward M. Kennedy - the husband, father, grandfather, brother and uncle we loved so deeply - died late Tuesday night at home in Hyannis Port,” the family said in a statement published by The Boston Globe.
“We’ve lost the irreplaceable centre of our family and joyous light in our lives, but the inspiration of his faith, optimism, and perseverance will live on in our hearts forever.
“We thank everyone who gave him care and support over this last year, and everyone who stood with him for so many years in his tireless march for progress toward justice, fairness and opportunity for all.
“He loved this country and devoted his life to serving it.
“He always believed that our best days were still ahead, but it’s hard to imagine any of them without him.”
- Senator Edward Kennedy's death ends `historic' US chapter (Roundup) - Aug 26, 2009
- Senator Kennedy's death ends `historic' US chapter (Second Lead) - Aug 26, 2009
- US Senator Kennedy passes away - Aug 26, 2009
- Ted Kennedy dies of brain cancer aged 77 (Part-I) - Aug 26, 2009
- Edward "Ted" Kennedy: The US Senator Dies At 77 - Aug 26, 2009
- Edward Kennedy to be buried in Arlington Cemetery Saturday - Aug 27, 2009
- Ted Kennedy is no more; Reactions galore - Aug 26, 2009
- World leaders pay tribute to Ted Kennedy - Aug 26, 2009
- Kennedy eulogised at final farewell - Aug 30, 2009
- Senator Edward Kennedy dead - Aug 26, 2009
- Kennedy was a friend of India, says US envoy - Aug 26, 2009
- Americans lost a great patriot: Speaker - Aug 26, 2009
- Obama mourns Kennedy's demise - Aug 27, 2009
- `Celebration of Life' memorial for Kennedy in Boston - Aug 29, 2009
- Edward Kennedy: A Tribute To The Senator - Aug 26, 2009
Tags: boston globe, brain cancer, dpa, edward kennedy, edward m kennedy, fairness, hyannis port massachusetts, john f kennedy, joyous light, kennedy family, lion, optimism, perseverance, president john f kennedy, senator edward kennedy, senator robert kennedy, senators, standard bearer, tuesday night, us senator