Senator Byrd Attends Kennedy’s Funeral MassAugust 30th, 2009 - 6:30 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Senator Byrd, who was an old colleague of Senator Edward.M.Kennedy (who passed away on 25th August), was present at the funeral ceremony of Kennedy in Boston.
Among the former members of the Congress, old Byrd was one faithful comrade, patiently sitting in his wheelchair at the Capitol steps, waving an American flag at the service.
He is the last U.S. Senator of the 1950s after the demise of the Senator George Smathers of Florida in 2007. He could barely utter his speech coherently last year when he tried speaking about Kennedy’s cancer treatment on the Senate floor. Byrd, who earlier this week requested people to “stop the shouting and name calling” on the debate of health reforms, put forward in the honor of the deceased Kennedy, had stated it as inappropriate agenda and also written “Byrd Rule”. He shared a camaraderie with Kennedy on how America should not be supporting wars and even supported issues against the war in Iraq.
Having heard the tragic end of his comrade Byrd had offered condolences to the family saying, “God bless his wife Vicky, his family, and the institution that he served so ably, which will never be the same without his voice of eloquence and reason. And God bless you Ted. I love you and will miss you terribly.”
The last prayers for the deceased Senator ran like, “Though in the sight of the people your servant Senator Ted Kennedy suffered greatly and took on enormous tasks, Lord you knew his hopes were unquenchable, full of immortality.” The funeral mass also had some irrelevant talking of Roland Martin’s nostalgia about his days as an altar boy.
- Longest serving US Senator Byrd dies at 92 - Jun 29, 2010
- President Barack Obama's Remarks at Edward Kennedy's Funeral - Aug 29, 2009
- Australia PM lauds 'great American' - Aug 27, 2009
- FBI Files Divulge Death Threats On Ted Kennedy - Jun 15, 2010
- Obama to speak at Kennedy funeral; burial at Arlington (Lead) - Aug 27, 2009
- Kennedy eulogised at final farewell - Aug 30, 2009
- FBI files show that Ted Kennedy received threats - Jun 15, 2010
- Ted to be inhumed next to brothers - Aug 27, 2009
- Ted Kennedy's sons bid adieu to their passionate father - Aug 30, 2009
- Tabloid blanked Ted Kennedy's sexcapades for gossip on Jackie Onassis - Oct 11, 2010
- Senator Byrd becomes longest-serving lawmaker in US history - Nov 18, 2009
- Ted Kennedy greatest legislature: Obama - Aug 31, 2009
- Brian Stokes Mitchell To Perform At Kennedy Funeral - Aug 29, 2009
- For once, Manmohan Singh speaks to impress (Capital Buzz) - Sep 05, 2010
- Vicki Kennedy Thanks Democrats For Passage Of Health Care Reform Bill - Mar 23, 2010
Tags: 25th august, altar boy, cancer treatment, capitol steps, deceased senator, edward m kennedy, funeral ceremony, funeral mass, george smathers, health reforms, last prayers, meena, roland martin, senate floor, senator byrd, senator edward, senator george, senator ted kennedy, ted kennedy, wife vicky