Selection of UPA leader after polls: PawarApril 23rd, 2009 - 11:00 am ICT by IANS
Baramati (Maharashtra), April 23 (IANS) Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) chief Sharad Pawar said here Thursday that the “election and selection” of the leader of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) would occur after the parliamentary polls.
“Election and selection of leader will be done collectively by the UPA,” Pawar said in reply to a question on whether Manmohan Singh will be the prime minister after the polls.
Asked about the UPA partners contesting elections separately, Pawar said: “Those who have been together in the UPA might be contesting separately but after elections we will sit together. We want to work under the umbrella of the UPA.”
Pawar didn’t rule out an alliance with the Left parties. Asked about the question whether the Left parties were untouchables as considered by the Congress Pawar replied: “I don’t think so.”
Lalu Prasad, leader of Rashtriya Janata Dal, another UPA member, also said in Patna Thursday that the UPA would form the next government and “if we fall a bit short, we have kept open a window for the Left”.
The NCP is contesting Lok Sabha elections in Maharashtra in alliance with the Congress party. While Pawar is contesting from the Madha Lok Sabha seat, his daughter Supriya Sule is fighting from Baramati.
Polling for 25 Lok Sabha constituencies in Maharashtra was underway Thursday.
- UPA leader will be selected after polls: Pawar (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2009
- Selection of UPA leader after polls: Pawar (Lead) - Apr 23, 2009
- Widow of MNS legislator joins NCP - Sep 22, 2011
- Pawar mulls quitting electoral politics - Jan 28, 2012
- Will accept Sangma's resignation: Pawar - Jun 20, 2012
- Pawar meets Sonia to discuss 'coalition issues' - Jul 20, 2012
- Pranab miles ahead as NDA squabbles (Roundup) - Jun 17, 2012
- Pawar feels dizzy, hospitalized (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- PM praises Pawar, UPA row ebbs for now (Roundup) - Jul 20, 2012
- NCP cautions Sangma, says he will withdraw (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Prithviraj Chavan to stake claim - Nov 10, 2010
- 'NCP will be with Third Front if UPA doesn't win' - Mar 31, 2009
- Dizzy Pawar taken to hospital, discharged (Second Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Sangma is candidate of communal forces: NCP (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Prithviraj Chavan, Ajit Pawar brace for Maharashtra innings (Night Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
Tags: elections in maharashtra, janata, left parties, lok sabha constituencies, lok sabha elections, madha, manmohan, manmohan singh, nationalist congress party, ncp, parliamentary polls, patna, prime minister, progressive alliance, reply, sharad pawar, sule, umbrella, UPA