Sedition charges politically motivated: VaikoApril 10th, 2009 - 9:53 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, April 10 (IANS) MDMK leader Vaiko Friday termed the Tamil Nadu government’s move to charge him with sedition for his remarks in support of the Tamil Tigers’ chief as “politically motivated”.
“While my statement indicating a bloodbath in Tamil Nadu if (banned Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam leader) Prabhakaran is harmed does not mean sedition. I need no certificate from the M. Karunanidhi government for patriotism and these charges are politically motivated,” Vaiko told reporters.
Surrounded by supporters decrying the state, central and Sri Lankan governments for allegedly killing “innocent Tamil civilians in Sri Lanka”, Vaiko expressed scorn over the threat of arrest.
“Threats of arrests by the cowardly (Tamil Nadu Chief Minister) Karunanidhi using the alibi of Tamil sentiments to continue in power and aiding the collaboration of the Indian government with Sri Lankan president Mahinda Rajapakse’s murderous regime, do not bother me,” Vaiko added.
- Vaiko's 'bloodbath' remark exposes fissures in Third Front (Lead) - Apr 10, 2009
- Send back Sri Lankan Air Force trainees: Jayalalithaa - Jul 13, 2012
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen being sent back (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen's status; Jayalaithaa demands they be sent home (Third Lead) - Jul 07, 2012
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen being sent back (Second Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Sri Lankan airmen shifted to Bangalore? Send them home, Jayalalitha demands (Fourth Lead, superseding previous story) - Jul 07, 2012
- Stray protests in Tamil Nadu against Rajapaksa - Oct 14, 2010
- Tamil Nadu calls for sanctions against Sri Lanka - Jun 08, 2011
- Vaiko slams Congress for links with DMK despite corruption charges. - Feb 24, 2011
- Rajapaksa arrives in India, to meet PM Friday - Oct 14, 2010
- MDMK leader goes on hunger strike protesting against fishermen killings - Feb 06, 2011
- Tamil Nadu parties again demand India back US UNHRC resolution - Mar 13, 2012
- Tribunal reserves order on Vaiko's plea against LTTE ban - Sep 24, 2010
- Vaiko immerses slain LTTE chief Prabhakaran's mother's ashes in Chennai - Mar 23, 2011
- Sparks fly in Tamil Nadu over Sri Lanka (Roundup) - Apr 20, 2009
Tags: alibi, bloodbath, chennai, chief minister, collaboration, governments, indian government, innocent tamil civilians, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, m karunanidhi, mahinda rajapakse, patriotism, prabhakaran, regime, scorn, sedition, sentiments, sri lankan president, tamil nadu government, tamil tigers