Security of Delhi legislators to be tightened: DikshitJune 2nd, 2012 - 3:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 2 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit Saturday said the security of legislators in the capital will be stepped up in the wake of a murderous attack on an independent legislator earlier in the day.
“We had a meeting with the police commissioner and we have assured that those (legislators) who have any kind of indication of any threat, they (Delhi Police) will provide security to them, PSOs (Personal Security officer) etc.,” Dikshit told reporters here.
The police have already stepped up security for four legislators after they reported threats to their life, Dikshit said.
“We are having a discussion Tuesday on the law and order situation. While the police commissioner would be present, people and MLAs will express their views,” the chief minister said.
Independent legislator Bharat Singh, 35, elected from Najafgarh, was in critical condition after being shot at by three or four men who sped away in a car. The incident took place around 8:30 a.m. at Singh’s office in Sarangpur village, police said.
The Delhi chief minister said the case would be solved soon. “They (Delhi Police) said that they will crack the case by this afternoon,” she said after a meeting with Delhi Police Commissioner B.K. Gupta.
Gupta said the crime branch and special cell teams were working on the case.
“Our best investigators are engaged in the case and by evening we will identify the suspects,” Gupta told reporters here.
Singh took a bullet on his left shoulder and another in his abdomen. He was taken to the Mata Chanan Devi Hospital at Janakpuri where he was immediately wheeled into an operation theatre.
Police suspect personal enmity may be behind the shooting.
Singh is the brother of municipal councillor Kishen Pahalwan, who reportedly faces several criminal cases, police said.
The attack came a day after Delhi’s legislators raised the issue of their security in the assembly.
- Delhi legislator shot, critical (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Delhi legislator shot, stable (Second Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Legislator shot at in Delhi - Jun 02, 2012
- Four held in Delhi MLA's shooting - Jun 03, 2012
- Delhi legislator's attackers sent to police custody - Jun 04, 2012
- Gang responsible for several murders busted - Jan 25, 2011
- Haryana ex-legislator surrenders after 3-week stand-off - May 27, 2011
- Three more held for shooting Delhi legislator - Jun 05, 2012
- Dhaula Kuan rapists to be charged within 30 days - Dec 14, 2010
- Woman jumps from court building, critically injured - May 06, 2011
- Women's insecurity in capital a matter of shame, says Delhi CM Dikshit - Mar 08, 2011
- Delhi mayor attacks chief minister over women's safety - May 08, 2012
- Fresh summons issued to Gupta for defaming Dikshit - Jun 22, 2012
- Four Delhi Police personnel injured in accident - Apr 08, 2012
- Cop's two security guards jailed for his murder - Mar 28, 2011
Tags: abdomen, chief minister, crime branch, critical condition, delhi police, enmity, four men, k gupta, law and order, left shoulder, legislator, legislators, mlas, municipal councillor, murderous attack, New Delhi, personal security, police commissioner, security officer, sheila dikshit