Secure release of Indian fishermen in Sri Lanka, PM urgedJune 8th, 2011 - 2:15 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 8 (IANS) Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa has written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, requesting him to urge the Sri Lankan government to release four Indian fishermen from its custody.
The request was made in a letter dated June 7, copies of which were released to the media Wednesday.
The four fishermen belonging to Rameswaram — Jayakumar, Prabhat, Sundar and Marimuthu — went into the sea for fishing June 1, the letter noted.
Due to inclement weather their boat sank June 2 and they swam for around eight hours and reached Nainatheevu, a Sri Lankan island, and surrendered before the army check post. They were handed to Kayts police June 3.
The Kayts Court June 6 remanded them to custody till June 17.
“I would like to seek your kind intervention in the issue and request you to ensure that the Government of Sri Lanka releases the above apprehended fishermen without further delay,” the letter said.
- Jayalalithaa seeks PM's help to free fishermen (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Take up fishermen harassment issue with Sri Lankan government: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Prime Minister asked to take up fishermen arrest issue with Sri Lanka - Jul 23, 2012
- Secure fishermen's release from Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa urges PM - Jul 05, 2012
- India should assert with Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa - Nov 16, 2011
- Sri Lanka Navy harassing Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Take strong stand against Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa urges PM - Nov 07, 2011
- 23 Indian fishermen to be released by Sri Lanka - Jun 24, 2011
- Take steps to locate missing fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Apr 12, 2011
- Sri Lanka releases 136 Indian fishermen - Feb 18, 2011
- India asks Sri Lanka to free fishermen - Jul 26, 2012
- Sri Lanka arrests 23 Indian fishermen - Jun 21, 2011
- India hopeful fishermen captured by Sri Lanka will be released - Jul 24, 2012
- Krishna expresses India's concern at detention of fishermen by Lankan Navy - Feb 17, 2011
- Move to stop attacks on fishermen: Jayalalithaa, Karunanidhi - Aug 20, 2012
Tags: army, chief minister, eight hours, fishing, government of sri lanka, inclement weather, indian fishermen, j jayalalithaa, june 3, kind intervention, letter dated june, manmohan, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sri lankan government, sundar