Second phase of Jharkhand panchayat polls beginsDecember 6th, 2010 - 10:16 am ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Dec 6 (IANS) Polling for the second phase of panchayat elections began in Jharkhand Monday morning amid tight security arrangements, an official here said.
The elections began at 7 a.m. and voters were seen queueing at the polling booths despite the boycott call by Maoists.
More than 700 companies of paramilitary troopers and state police have been deployed and three helicopters are doing air surveillance to ensure peaceful polling, the official said.
In the second phase, voting is taking place in 1,292 panchayats of 71 blocks of 23 districts. A total of 47,406 candidates are in the fray whose fate will be decided by 4,292,969 voters.
The five-phase panchayat elections began Nov 27.
The last panchayat polls took place in 1979 when Jharkhand was part of Bihar. The polls were delayed due to legal battle over reservations for tribals.
- Jharkhand panchayat polls: 60 percent ballot in second phase (Lead) - Dec 06, 2010
- Jharkhand panchayat polls: 67 percent ballot in second phase (Second Lead) - Dec 06, 2010
- Jharkhand panchayat polls: 47,000 in fray in second phase - Dec 05, 2010
- Panchayat polls on in Jharkhand - Dec 20, 2010
- Maoists disrupt panchayat polls in Jharkhand - Dec 24, 2010
- First phase of Jharkhand panchayat polls under way - Nov 27, 2010
- Jharkhand panchayat polls begin Saturday - Nov 26, 2010
- Jharkhand panchayat polls: 50 percent voting in first phase (Second Lead) - Nov 27, 2010
- 67 percent polling, CRPF trooper killed in Jharkhand (Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- 66 percent polling in Jharkhand (Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- Jharkhand panchayat polls: Maoists fire at voters - Dec 13, 2010
- Third phase of Jharkhand panchayat polls Monday - Dec 12, 2010
- Bihar conducts fifth phase of panchayat polls - May 03, 2011
- Over 67 percent votes cast in Jharkhand panchayat polls - Dec 13, 2010
- Over 56,000 aspirants in second phase of Jharkhand panchayat polls - Nov 09, 2010
Tags: air surveillance, boycott, fate, helicopters, maoists, monday morning, panchayat elections, panchayats, polling booths, polls, ranchi, second phase, security arrangements, state police, tight security