Scuffles, brawls in parliament, state assemblies (Timeline)September 5th, 2012 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
The Rajya Sabha Wednesday witnessed high drama as a scuffle broke out between a Samajwadi Party member Naresh Agarwal and BSP member Avtar Singh Karimpuri as a bill on quotas in promotions for scheduled castes and scheduled tribes in government jobs was being tabled.
Some of the other similar incidents in parliament and the state assemblies:
* March 13, 2007: The Left parties and DMK virtually came to blows with each other in the Lok Sabha, as then union shipping, road transport and highways minister T.R. Baalu introduced the Indian Maritime University Bill, 2007 which proposed to shift the maritime university from Kolkata to Chennai.
* Nov 24, 2009: A brawl over a religious slogan disrupted the Rajya Sabha in 2009 when then home minister P. Chidambaram tabled the report of the Liberhan Commission that probed the 1992 demolition of the Babri Masjid, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MPs broke out into cries of “Jai Shri Ram”.
Objecting to the slogans Samajwadi Party (SP) general secretary Amar Singh, tried to push BJP’s S.S Ahluwalia, but was in turn violently pushed back.
* Oct 7, 2010: Chaos broke out in the Jammu and Kashmir assembly on remarks of Chief Minister Omar Abdullah who said that “the state (Jammu and Kashmir) has acceded through an agreement to India and not merged with it”. The BJP and National Panthers’ Party (NPP) MPs, tore papers and shouted slogans.
A BJP legislator sustained a head injury in the melee. Four legislators, including three from BJP and one from NPP, and a marshal sustained minor injuries. Some BJP legislators also complained of hypertension.
* Dec 29, 2011: Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) member Rajniti Prasad tore the Lokpal Bill after snatching it from Minister of State for Personnel, V. Narayanasamy.
The incident took place in Rajya Sabha. Prasad suddenly charged towards the minister’s seat, ignoring the directions of Hamid Ansari, who was in the chair.
* Oct 21, 1997: During then chief minister Kalyan Singh’s trust vote, the members threw mikes and papers at each other in the Uttar Pradesh assembly. Many legislators were injured and even speaker Kesari Nath Tripathi was injured in the melee.
- SP, BSP MPs scuffle over promotion quota bill (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Promotion quota bill in Rajya Sabha, SP, BSP lock horns (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Promotion quota bill in Rajya Sabha - Sep 05, 2012
- Quota bill in Rajya Sabha, SP, BSP lock horns (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- I tore the bill because it was bad: Rajniti Prasad - Dec 30, 2011
- Parliament disrupted, quota bill introduced (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Lokpal bill drowns in Rajya Sabha amid chaos (Roundup) - Dec 30, 2011
- Parliament crippled over coal blocks, quota bill introduced (Roundup) - Sep 05, 2012
- Day after Lokpal bill failure, battlelines drawn (Afternoon Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Coal fuels parliament disruptions for sixth day (Second Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
Tags: ahluwalia, amar singh, babri masjid, brawls, castes, high drama, home minister, jammu and kashmir, left parties, Lok Sabha, maritime university, npp, p chidambaram, panthers party, party member, rajya sabha, religious slogan, Samajwadi Party, shri ram, state assemblies