Scuffle in Ukrainian parliament over Russian languageMay 25th, 2012 - 8:57 am ICT by IANS
Kiev, May 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Ahead of the consideration of a bill aimed to expand the Russian language’s usage in the country, the Ukrainian parliament witnessed a brawl Thursday.
Prior to the beginning of the voting, opposition deputies burst into the building of the parliament and instigated a scuffle with members of the pro-presidential Party of Regions.
Parliamentary speaker Volodymir Litvin announced the end of the meeting.
The opposition argued the bill would only aggravate relationship between Russian- and Ukrainian-speaking citizens.
“We demand that the parliament does not discuss such a bill at all as this issue could split the society,” said Vyacheslav Kirilenko, a deputy with the opposition party Our Ukraine - People’s Self-defence, while addressing a gather.
According various estimates, the Russian language is native to 30 to 50 percent of Ukrainians as both countries share deep historic links.
Under the country’s constitution, Ukrainian is the only official state language in Ukraine.
Before being elected in 2010, President Viktor Yanukovych promised to make Russian the other official language but could not achieve the required majority in parliament to get the bill through.
- MPs scuffle in Ukraine parliament (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Putin urges Ukraine to join new Russian space centre project - Apr 13, 2011
- Ukraine's ex-PM arrested - Aug 05, 2011
- Ukrainians protest censorship of TV channel - Sep 09, 2012
- Ukraine ex-PM gets 7-year jail for abuse of office - Oct 11, 2011
- Ukraine's opposition leader Tymoshenko charged with additional offense - Jan 27, 2011
- Ukraine urges global efforts to tackle man-made disasters - Apr 26, 2011
- Russia, Ukraine agree on naval base lease extension - Apr 22, 2010
- Ukraine parliament ratifies naval base deal with Russia (Lead) - Apr 27, 2010
- Ukraine, NATO to carry out radioactive clean-up - Jun 25, 2011
- Ukraine to host Euro 2012 despite boycott threats: President - May 15, 2012
- Medvedev to propose blueprint for greater nuclear safety - Apr 26, 2011
- Downpour floods Kiev's Euro 2012 fan zone - Jun 07, 2012
- Smoke bomb, eggs thrown at Ukraine speaker - Apr 27, 2010
- Ukrainian opposition to probe Euro 2012 funding - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: citizens, constitution, estimates, kiev, kirilenko, litvin, opposition deputies, opposition party, parliament, parliamentary speaker, relationship, ria novosti, russian language, self defence, state language, ukraine, ukrainian parliament, ukrainians, viktor yanukovych, vyacheslav