Schwarzenegger wants to become US presidentDecember 23rd, 2008 - 5:51 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Dec 23 (DPA) Former action movie star Arnold Schwarzenegger has not satiated his political ambitions by serving as California governor.The Austrian-born superstar revealed in an interview on “60 Minutes” late Sunday night that he would “absolutely” like to be US president if the Constitution could be changed to allow foreign-born Americans to run for the White House.
“Well, you’re a man of no small ambition. If the Constitution was changed, you’d like to be president, wouldn’t you?” 60 Minutes journalist Scott Pelley asked.
“Yeah, absolutely,” Schwarzenegger replied. “I think that I am always a person that looks for the next big goal. And I love challenges.”
“I always set goals that are so high, that are almost impossible to achieve. Because then, you’re always hungry for climbing and climbing. Because it’s always interesting. The climb is always interesting. When you get there you just have to pick another goal.”
For now, it would be impossible for him to become president. Schwarzenegger, who was born in Austria and became a US citizen in 1983, is not a “natural born citizen” of the US, as required by the Constitution.
There might also be some other problems. Despite his election in 2003 on promises to fix California’s financial system, the state now finds itself in the worst fiscal crisis in its history, with officials warning that it will run out of cash early in the new year. Schwarzenegger still has two years left to serve.
However, he clearly believes he has the talent for the country’s top job, with his past career giving him an advantage enjoyed by his predecessor as California governor, former president Ronald Reagan.
“People think show business was in Hollywood, but I think Reagan was absolutely right,” Schwarzenegger said. “If he wouldn’t have the training in acting, this would have been a very difficult job.”
- Arnie would love to be US President - Dec 23, 2008
- Arnie gets parking ticket a day after leaving office - Jan 05, 2011
- I would run for U.S. President if law were changed: Schwarzenegger - May 01, 2010
- Schwarzenegger fails to turn up at event to award Abhishek (Lead) - Feb 03, 2012
- 'Terminator' Arnie to return as cartoon superhero 'Governator' - Apr 01, 2011
- Arnold Schwarzenegger, Maria Shriver split after 25 years - May 10, 2011
- Medvedev accepts Schwarzenegger invite for skiing - Jan 04, 2011
- Arnie denies 'fluffer' job claim - Apr 30, 2010
- Medvedev, Schwarzenegger form tweet friendship - Jan 05, 2011
- Reagan's adopted son trashes filmmaker's documentary, says 'Gipper's' legacy has been hijacked - Feb 22, 2011
- It's now Professor Arnold Schwarzenegger! - Aug 03, 2012
- Gigi Goyette claims to be Arnold Schwarzenegger's mistress - May 26, 2011
- Congrats Abhishek, we should get together: Arnie - Feb 03, 2012
- Indian-American orphan woman caught in legal tangle - May 25, 2012
- Schwarzenegger plans to return to acting - Nov 22, 2010