Schwarzenegger stubs out California smoking banMay 4th, 2010 - 12:33 pm ICT by IANS
San Francisco, May 4 (DPA) California governor, former bodybuilder and action movie star Arnold Schwarzenegger has used his veto power to snuff out a bill that would have banned smoking in all state parks and beaches, calling it “an improper intrusion of government into people’s lives”.
Schwarzenegger, an avid cigar smoker who even erected a special smoking tent outside his office, said Monday that the far-reaching legislation was a power-grab by state authorities over what should be a local issue.
“There is something inherently uncomfortable about the idea of the state encroaching in such a broad manner on the people of California,” Schwarzenegger wrote in his veto message. “This bill crosses an important threshold between state power and command and
The bill would have imposed a $100 fine on people who were caught smoking at any of the 278 state parks or beaches, though it would have allowed smoking in parking lots and campgrounds.
- It's now Professor Arnold Schwarzenegger! - Aug 03, 2012
- Britain to ban smoking in public parks - Aug 09, 2011
- Yoga, Arnie's son's secret behind classic six-pack abs - Oct 05, 2010
- Schwarzenegger immortalised in bronze - Sep 27, 2011
- Becks shares cigar with wife Posh in California sunshine - Aug 22, 2010
- Russian bodybuilder Alexander Nevsky crowned Mr. Universe - Oct 30, 2010
- Arnold Schwarzenegger inspects his larger-than-life clay sculpture - Feb 18, 2011
- Cuban makes statues using tobacco leaves - Feb 06, 2012
- California seeks more Indian tourists - Mar 19, 2010
- Schwarzenegger signs California Anti-Slavery Bill - Oct 01, 2010
- I'd consider a post in the Obama Administration, says Arnie - Dec 19, 2010
- Schwarzenegger to star in 'The Governator' - Apr 01, 2011
- Schwarzenegger's son hospitalised - Jul 23, 2011
- Arnold Schwarzenegger divorce might be very costly - Jun 03, 2011
- Schwarzenegger to pen autobiography - Sep 23, 2011
Tags: arnold schwarzenegger, ban san, beaches, bodybuilder, california governor, california smoking ban, campgrounds, cigar smoker, dpa, intrusion, local issue, movie star, parking lots, power grab, state authorities, state parks, stubs, threshold, veto message, veto power