Scheduled Palestinian prisoner release thrown into doubtDecember 15th, 2008 - 6:20 am ICT by IANS
Jerusalem, Dec 15 (DPA) Israel’s plan to free 230 Palestinian prisoners Monday was thrown into doubt late Sunday night, after the country’s Supreme Court ordered the release delayed until the state replied to a petition against it.Israeli media reported that Supreme Court Justice Eliakim Rubistein ordered the state to reply by 7:45 a.m. to the petition, and said only after hearing the state’s arguments would a final ruling on the appeal be made.
The transfer of the prisoners to the Palestinian areas would not go ahead before then, Rubinstein said.
The court had earlier rejected the petition, saying that the release was a political decision affecting Israel’s foreign relations, and thus outside its competence.
The petitioners, however appealed the ruling, prompting Rubinstein to order the release delayed until the state responded to the petition.
Israel decided to free the 230 prisoners as a goodwill gesture to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, to mark the Muslim festival of Eid al-Adha (Feast of the Sacrifice.)
All the prisoners to be freed are members of the armed wings of Abbas’ secular Fatah movement, or other smaller groups, and none of the radical Islamic Hamas movement.
Israel has said the periodic release of small numbers of Fatah militants is aimed at boosting support for the moderate Palestinian president in his power struggle with his bitter rival Hamas.
The release was supposed to have taken place last week, but was postponed. Israel said the delay was due to a request from the Palestinians, but Palestinian officials denied this.
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Hundreds of Palestinians celebrate unity deal - May 04, 2011
- Hamas announces the formation of new Gaza government - Mar 11, 2011
- Early Palestinian elections to be proposed - Oct 02, 2011
- Palestine: Fatah, Hamas reach agreement on reconciliation - Apr 28, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah to finalise unity government talks next week - Jun 15, 2011
- Palestinian's national unity government likely in ten days: official - May 28, 2011
- Abbas slams Hamas for delaying reconciliation pact - Oct 12, 2009
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Hamas, Fatah sign reconciliation deal - May 05, 2011
- Israel to release 230 Palestinian prisoners Tuesday - Dec 08, 2008
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Hamas leader to attend NAM summit in Iran - Aug 25, 2012
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
Tags: eid al adha, fatah movement, goodwill gesture, hamas movement, mahmoud abbas, muslim festival, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, president mahmoud abbas, supreme court justice