Scared Advani is a front to promote Modi: CongressApril 27th, 2009 - 7:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 27 (IANS) Making a sharp attack on the Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani, the Congress Monday described him as a “scared leader” and wondered if he was a “mask” or a “convenient front” to promote Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as the party’s future prime ministerial candidate.
“The question arises - has Advani been indirectly shown the door? Is Advani no more or less than a mukhota (mask), a convenient front, a face and a mask for Modi? The mask is obviously needed because within NDA (National Democratic Alliance) itself Modi will not have immediate acceptability, and within the country Advani may not have acceptability, but at least within NDA, Advani is perceived to have more acceptability than Modi,” Congress spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi said to reporters here.
Referring to Modi being promoted as a candidate for future prime minister by some BJP leaders, Singhvi said: “This ‘majboor’ (helpless) leader (referring to Advani) is a scared leader because he has to rely on a supporting stick or crutch of Modi. He (Advani) has to be content with being the prime minister-in-waiting and reassure Modi that he shall be the future prime minister-in-waiting.”
“This is the BJP’s true ‘chal charitra’ (character) and ‘chehra’ (face). Advani is the mukhota (mask). He (Modi) has shown Advani the door,” Singhvi added.
BJP senior leaders Arun Shourie and Arun Jaitley have said that Modi was the party’s future prime ministerial candidate after the present aspirant, the octogenarian Advani.
–Indo-asian News Service
- Congress attack gets the Modi edge after court order (Political Roundup) - Apr 27, 2009
- Congress attack gets the Modi edge after court order (Political Roundup, Reissuing with corrections in intro) - Apr 27, 2009
- NDA PM should be like Vajpayee: Sushil Modi - Jun 19, 2012
- Bihar leaders in war of words over PM candidate - Jun 19, 2012
- Sharad Yadav rejects Advani's prediction on 2014 polls - Aug 06, 2012
- PM not able to use authority, says Advani - Dec 03, 2011
- Nobody has right to give fatwa on secularism: BJP - Jun 20, 2012
- Nitish attacks Modi as Shiv Sena backs Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 19, 2012
- Sushma to attend Modi fast on final day Monday - Sep 19, 2011
- Advani points to a leadership vacuum (Comment) - Aug 11, 2012
- Modi's fast biggest political stunt of the decade: Congress - Sep 21, 2011
- Advani's blog musings demoralising, says Thackeray - Aug 07, 2012
- War rages in Bihar between BJP, JD-U (Bihar Newsletter) - Jun 23, 2012
- Modi's absence, talk of PM candidate, cloud BJP meet (Roundup) - Sep 30, 2011
- Despite grand show, few takers for Modi as future PM - Sep 19, 2011
Tags: acceptability, asian news, aspirant, bharatiya janata party, bjp leaders, chal, chehra, chief minister, crutch, gujarat, indo, jg, l k advani, manu, mask, national democratic alliance, New Delhi, octogenarian, prime ministerial candidate, spokesperson