SC upholds life for former MP Anand Mohan (Lead)July 10th, 2012 - 3:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 10 (IANS) The Supreme Court Tuesday rejected the appeal of former Lok Sabha member Anand Mohan who was convicted and awarded life sentence in the murder of Bihar’s Gopalganj district magistrate G. Krishnaiah in December 1994.
Anand Mohan had challenged his conviction and award of life imprisonment by the Patna High Court.
Upholding the conviction awarding him life imprisonment, the apex court bench headed by Justice A.K. Patnaik in its judgement said that there was no merit in his plea. The apex court also rejected the Bihar government’s plea seeking enhancement of punishment for Anand Mohan.
Anand Mohan and 35 others were accused of lynching Krishnaiah Dec 5, 1994. Anand Mohan and others were accused of instigating the mob that lynched Krishnaiah.
The trial court Oct 3, 2007 awarded death sentence to three accused, including Anand Mohan, and life sentence to four others. The trial court acquitted the other 29 accused.
On appeal, the Patna High Court upheld the conviction of Anand Mohan but commuted his death sentence to life imprisonment.
- Apex court upholds life for former MP Anand Mohan - Jul 10, 2012
- SC upholds life for former MP Anand Mohan (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Apex court rejects former MP's bail plea in murder case (Lead) - May 14, 2010
- Nearly 60,000, including MPs and MLAs, convicted in Bihar in 5 years - Apr 11, 2011
- Over 50,000 criminals convicted in Nitish-era Bihar - Sep 23, 2010
- Apex court denies bail to former MP jailed for murder - May 14, 2010
- Kasab claims trial court's death penalty verdict flawed (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Bihar takes on crime with high conviction rate - Jun 08, 2010
- Anand Mohan moves apex court against conviction for bureaucrat's death - Mar 03, 2009
- Apex court allows Chisty to visit Pakistan (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- 308 convicts await death ahead of Kasab - May 06, 2010
- Apex court allows Chisty to visit Pakistan (Second Lead) - May 10, 2012
- MR 308 convicts await death ahead of Kasab (Lead) - May 06, 2010
- (HOLD) SC admits plea challenging acquital of Bathani Tola accused - Jul 16, 2012
- (HOLD) Delay in appeal outcome no ground for exoneration in murder: SC - Sep 08, 2012
Tags: anand mohan, apex, apex court, bihar government, conviction, court bench, death sentence, district magistrate, enhancement, judgement, life imprisonment, life sentence, lok sabha member, mob, mp, New Delhi, patna high court, plea, supreme court, trial court