SC order against promotion quotas rocks Lok SabhaAugust 9th, 2012 - 2:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 9 (IANS) A Supreme Court ruling upholding an Allahabad High Court order quashing quotas for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in promotions in government jobs in Uttar Pradesh rocked the Lok Sabha Thursday with members across parties demanding protection for the downtrodden.
Soon after the house met, members from Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), Samajwadi Party (SP) and Congress raised the issue and did not let the question hour be taken up.
Members wanted Speaker Meira Kumar to allow an impromptu discussion on the subject.
The Supreme Court had in April overruled the Uttar Pradesh government’s decision to provide reservations in government job promotions. The BSP, which was then in government, had raised the issue in the budget session too demanding a constitutional amendment to provide for such quotas.
The matter was raised by SP’s Shailendra Kumar, who appealed to the government to uphold the interests of the downtrodden and come up with a constitutional amendment to provide for such reservations.
He was supported by Congress’ P.L. Punia.
Responding to the members’ concern, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal said the matter was important and the government was proactive in according the rightful place to Dalits in the country.
However, he said, “the government’s response to the SC order must be considered”.
He admitted that a meeting on the matter could not take place over the last one-and-half months due to various reasons, but assured the members that the government would respond appropriately to the issue soon.
- SC order against quotas in promotions rocks parliament (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- All-party meeting on job promotion quota Aug 21 (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Mayawati demands constitution amendment for SC/ST quota (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Rajya Sabha adjourned over quotas in promotions - Aug 09, 2012
- PM's all-party meet on promotions quota put off - May 22, 2012
- Promotion quota bill in Rajya Sabha, SP, BSP lock horns (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Amend statute for job promotions to SCs, STs: Mayawati - Apr 30, 2012
- Cabinet approves bill for reservation in job promotions - Sep 04, 2012
- BJP to meet on reservation in promotions - Sep 04, 2012
- PM calls all-party meet May 23 over job quota - May 18, 2012
- Cabinet nod for job promotion quotas; BJP, SP, BSP spar (Second Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Both Congress and BJP against quota in promotions bill: Mayawati - Sep 05, 2012
- All-party meeting on promotion quota Aug 21 - Aug 09, 2012
- 'Quashing reservation in promotions goes against SCs, STs' - May 03, 2012
- Quota bill in Rajya Sabha, SP, BSP lock horns (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: affairs minister, allahabad high court, bansal, budget session, castes, constitutional amendment, government job, government jobs, Lok Sabha, meira kumar, New Delhi, parliamentary affairs, pawan kumar, quotas, rocks, Samajwadi Party, shailendra kumar, supreme court ruling, tribes, uttar pradesh government