SC breather for Maharashtra transport ministerAugust 7th, 2012 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 7 (IANS) The Supreme Court Tuesday suspended the operation of the Bombay High Court order that cancelled the bail of Maharashtra Minister of SDtate for Transport Gulabrao Baburao Deokar for his alleged involvement in the 2006 Gharkul housing scam.
The apex court bench of Justice Altamas Kabir and Justice J. Chelameswar Tuesday gave Deokar relief and suspended the operation of the order of the Aurangabad bench of Bombay High Court which cancelled his bail Aug 6, 2012.
Besides, the apex court issued notice to the Maharashtra government and three others.
Making a mention of Deokar’s plea, senior counsel Mukul Rohtagi told the court that his client was on bail all through as it was granted to 19 others also in the case. He said the high court by its Aug 6, 2012, order cancelled the bail only of his client.
All the 20 accused who were granted bail May 21, 2012, were members of the Jalgaon Municipal corporation.
Deokar in his petition said he had observed all the conditions imposed by the trial court which granted him bail, and that there was not one instance of his misusing the liberty.
“Nor is there allegation that the petitioner has tried to influence the witnesses or tamper with the evidence,” Deokar’s petition said.
Describing the application for the cancellation of his bail as an act of “political vindictiveness”, Deokar said that though 20 people were granted bail, respondent Premanand Bansi Jadhav, who was neither the original complainant nor employee of the Jalgaon City Municipal Corporation, moved the court for cancellation of his bail.
- Maharashtra minister on the run as court cancels bail - Aug 07, 2012
- NCP minister arrested for housing scam, resigns - May 21, 2012
- Cancelling Andhra court bail to Kobad Ghandy meaningless: SC - Jul 27, 2012
- Police to quiz ex-minister held in housing scam - Mar 11, 2012
- 2G: Apex court gives CBI time to reply on Chandolia's appeal (Second Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Apex court asks CBI to arrest Pappu Yadav - Aug 06, 2010
- 2G: Supreme Court breather for Chandolia - Dec 07, 2011
- Supreme Court stays Hasan Ali's bail (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Supreme Court stays Hasan Ali's bail (Second Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Supreme Court stays Kobad Ghandy's bail (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Apex court reserves order on Orissa legislator's bail - Dec 15, 2010
- 2G: Apex court grants bail to Behura (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- No arrest for Nupur Talwar, rules apex court (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- Raju, others denied bail in Satyam scam - Aug 04, 2011
- Satyam case: no bail for Raju, seven others - Aug 30, 2011
Tags: allegation, apex, apex court, bombay high court, cancellation, complainant, court bench, jadhav, kabir, maharashtra government, New Delhi, petition, petitioner, plea, respondent, senior counsel, supreme court, transport minister, trial court