Save and cherish daughters, PM appeals to Punjab votersMay 2nd, 2009 - 3:09 pm ICT by IANS
Jalalabad (Punjab), May 2 (IANS) Trying to strike an emotive chord on the issue of female foeticide in Punjab - a state with one of the worst sex ratios in the country - Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Saturday called upon people of the prosperous state to wash the blot of killing daughters.
“I am the proud father of three daughters. I must tell you that it is daughters who do us proud,” Manmohan Singh told a public gathering while addressing them in Punjabi in this border belt of Punjab.
“Whether it is a son or daughter, we must accept god’s will on this. We have to save our daughters for our future. You have to ensure that this black spot on Punjab is washed clean,” the prime minister said.
Punjab has a skewed sex ratio of just around 800 females per 1,000 males.
Much of this is attributed to the illegal abortions being carried out in the state to get rud of unborn girls.
- Punjabi film takes hard look at female foeticide - Sep 22, 2009
- Aamir Khan to meet Gehlot over female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- Severely punish culprits of female foeticide: Aamir - Jul 11, 2012
- Declining sex ratio attributed to misuse of medical technology - Dec 18, 2011
- Post 'Satyamev Jayate' Aamir to meet Gehlot - May 07, 2012
- Woman killed in Punjab for bearing daughters - Apr 17, 2012
- Haryana town dedicates Lohri to girl child - Jan 14, 2011
- Borther cries foul, woman unable to bear boy child dies - Oct 20, 2011
- New advisory board on pre-natal tests to meet Wednesday - Apr 19, 2011
- Improve India's sex ratio, says president - Mar 17, 2011
- Falling child sex ratio is national shame: PM - Apr 21, 2011
- Haryana takes another step to stop female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- Woman arrested for killing daughter - Jan 07, 2012
- Rajasthan cracks down on sonography centres - May 10, 2012
- NGO to campaign against female foeticide in Haryana (Lead) - Aug 14, 2009
Tags: female foeticide, females, girls, god, illegal abortions, jalalabad, manmohan, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, prosperous state, proud father, punjabi, rud, sex ratio, sex ratios, three daughters