Saudi crown prince,78, dies in Geneva (Lead)June 16th, 2012 - 7:09 pm ICT by IANS
Riyadh, June 16 (IANS) Saudi Arabia’s heir apparent Prince Nayef bin Abdulaziz Al Saud breathed his last Saturday at a Geneva hospital following an illness, Al Jazeera reported. He was 78.
Nayef was appointed the new crown prince by Saudi King Abdullah last October, following the death of former crown prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.
According to Xinhua, Nayef, who was also the country’s interior minister, had been ill for a long time and was receiving medical treatment in Switzerland.
Saudi state TV confirmed that Nayef’s death occurred at a Geneva hospital Saturday.
Funeral prayers for the crown prince are expected to be held after sunset Sunday, according to a statement released by the Saudi Royal court.
Nayef served as the second deputy premier and interior minister of the world’s top oil supplier since 1975.
- Saudi crown prince passes away in Geneva (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Saudi crown prince dies in Geneva at 78 - Jun 16, 2012
- Saudi king chooses new crown prince, interior minister - Jun 18, 2012
- Saudi prince's funeral to be held in Mecca - Jun 17, 2012
- Saudi prince's funeral services held in Mecca (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Salman Khurshid arrives for Saudi Arabian prince's funeral - Jun 17, 2012
- Obama mourns death of Saudi crown prince - Jun 17, 2012
- Saudi King Abdullah names Prince Salman crown prince - Jun 20, 2012
- World leaders condole Saudi prince's death - Jun 17, 2012
- Gilani, Kayani to attend Saudi prince's funeral - Jun 17, 2012
- Saudi king names new defence minister - Nov 06, 2011
- UAE leaders greet new Saudi crown prince - Jun 19, 2012
- UAE mourns death of Saudi crown prince - Jun 16, 2012
- India PM condoles Saudi prince's death - Jun 17, 2012
- Saudi King Abdullah names Prince Naif crown prince - Oct 28, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,