Sarkozy to shuffle cabinet after electoral defeat (Lead)March 22nd, 2010 - 10:35 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, March 22 (DPA) French President Nicolas Sarkozy continued Monday to hold discussions ahead of a government re-shuffle following the ruling UMP party’s heavy defeat in Sunday’s regional elections.
According to French media, the biggest head to roll could be that of Labour Minister Xavier Darcos, whose slate of candidates received only 28 percent of the vote Sunday in the region of Aquitaine.
Eight government ministers stood at the head of conservative lists in the second round of regional elections, and all of them lost.
Slates headed by the Socialists and their left-wing allies received 53.79 percent of the vote Sunday, compared to about 35.37 percent for Sarkozy’s UMP. That represents the best showing by the Socialists in an election since 1981.
In addition, the Socialists won 21 of France’s 22 metropolitan regions, with only a UMP victory in Alsace preventing a left-wing “Grand Slam”.
The UMP won two of four overseas regions, but results there were clouded by local politicking and have little relevance for national affairs.
The far-right National Front of Jean-Marie Le Pen also did well, averaging 18 percent in the regions in which it had candidates standing.
Monday, Sarkozy met with Prime Minister Francois Fillon to discuss the consequences of the defeat and changes to the cabinet.
Late Sunday, after the first projections announced a big victory by the opposition Socialists, Fillon went on national television to concede defeat and assume his “share of the responsibility”.
However, an adviser to Sarkozy said Sunday that the popular Fillon would not be handing in his resignation.
- Sarkozy suffers heavy defeat in French regional elections - Mar 22, 2010
- French PM re-elected in parliamentary elections - Jun 11, 2012
- Francois Hollande: The next president of France - May 07, 2012
- Hollande 'wins first round' of France poll - Apr 23, 2012
- Hollande wins first round of France poll (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- A woman emerges kingmaker in France - Apr 24, 2012
- Sarkozy, Hollande square off in fierce TV debate - May 03, 2012
- Sarkozy concedes defeat, wishes Hollande good luck - May 07, 2012
- Hollande, the next French president (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Millions of French vote to decide Sarkozy's fate (Third Lead) - Apr 22, 2012
- Hollande gives Sarkozy a run for his money (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- 'Sarkozy got 50 million euros from Gaddafi' - Apr 29, 2012
- France votes as Sarkozy's fate hangs in balance (Second Lead) - Apr 22, 2012
- Sarkozy accepts French PM's resignation - May 11, 2012
- Hollande beats Sarkozy in French presidential polls (Lead) - May 07, 2012
Tags: electoral defeat, francois fillon, french media, french president nicolas, french president nicolas sarkozy, government ministers, grand slam, jean marie le pen, labour minister, metropolitan regions, national affairs, national television, nicolas sarkozy, overseas regions, paris march, politicking, president nicolas sarkozy, regional elections, socialists, xavier darcos