Sarkozy sues former spy chief for slanderOctober 17th, 2008 - 4:06 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, Oct 17 (DPA) French President Nicolas Sarkozy is suing the former head of France’s domestic spy service RG for slander, French media reported Friday.In the lawsuit, Sarkozy’s attorney Thierry Herzog charged that RG head Yves Bertrand allowed “others to receive information related to (Sarkozy’s) private life, thereby causing him injury, and fraudulently distorted the truth with an rrefutable wish to harm.”
The complaint concerns excerpts from Bertrand’s private notebooks dating from his time as RG chief, which were published Oct 9 in the weekly Le Point.
One of those excerpts suggests when he was interior minister, Sarkozy had received bribes in an arms-smuggling affair currently being tried in Paris.
One excerpt is dated June 2002, and reads, “Tassez received money from Falcone for Sarko, from Jean-Cristophe and African heads of state.”
Another excerpt, from July 2, 2003, reads, “Sarko 150,000 (French) francs in cash in his office.”
The excerpt refers to French businessman Pierre Falcone, who is currently being tried for allegedly setting up, with Russian-Israeli billionaire Arcadi Gaydamak, a vast arms-trafficking network with the Angolan regime in the 1990s.
Also referred to in the excerpt are two of Falcone’s co-defendants in the so-called Angolagate affair, Jean-Cristophe Mitterand, son of former French president Francois Mitterand, and businessman Jean Noel Tassez.
Falcone is suspected of having bribed a number of French politicians in the affair.
Other excerpts from Bertrand’s notebooks published in Le Point refer to an alleged affair Sarkozy had with the wife of a lawmaker and suggest that builders who had constructed a house for him were
paid “off the books,” so that no taxes would have to be paid.
In an interview published Oct 10 in the daily Le Parisien, Bertrand said that at least 80 percent of the information he received consisted of unverified rumours and gossip that were rarely exploited officially.
- French culture minister accused of paedophilia (Lead) - Oct 08, 2009
- French culture minister accused of paedophilia - Oct 08, 2009
- Nicolas Sarkozy had affair with cabinet colleague''s wife four years ago - Oct 10, 2008
- Polanski demonisation has turned me away from left-wing: Carla Bruni - Feb 01, 2011
- 'Sarkozy got 50 million euros from Gaddafi' - Apr 29, 2012
- Sir Michael Caine thanks France for the wrong award - Jan 07, 2011
- French presidential election starts (Lead) - Apr 22, 2012
- France names presidential candidates - Mar 20, 2012
- France film director Claude Chabrol dies at 80 - Sep 13, 2010
- A woman emerges kingmaker in France - Apr 24, 2012
- Hollande wins first round of France poll (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Hollande 'wins first round' of France poll - Apr 23, 2012
- Sarkozy wants to revitalise Paris by pushing it to the sea - May 30, 2010
- Defence, n-power will dominate Sarkozy's India visit - Dec 03, 2010
- Hitler had son with French teen - Feb 18, 2012
Tags: arcadi gaydamak, french president nicolas, french president nicolas sarkozy, interior minister sarkozy, le parisien, pierre falcone, president francois mitterand, president nicolas sarkozy, thierry herzog, yves bertrand