Sarkozy concedes defeat, wishes Hollande good luckMay 7th, 2012 - 4:11 am ICT by IANS
Paris, May 7 (IANS) French President Nicolas Sarkozy conceded defeat to his Socialist Party challenger Francois Hollande in the presidential runoff Sunday, saying he had called his rival on the phone and wished him “good luck”.
“The new French president needs to be respected,” Sarkozy told his supporters as exit polls and partial official results showed a victory for Hollande.
“I am responsible for my failure in the election,” the outgoing president was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
Many of his supporters were seen crying.
Hollande beat Sarkozy in a tight run-off election to win the presidency with 51.9 percent of the vote to Sarkozy’s 48.1 percent, the website of France 24 TV channel reported citing the Ipsos polling institute.
Official results are expected to be largely in line with the exit polls.
France has 46 million registered voters, about 82 percent of whom were estimated to have cast their ballots Sunday.
- Hollande vows to bring change - May 07, 2012
- Hollande beats Sarkozy in French presidential polls (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- France votes in crucial presidential run-off - May 06, 2012
- Hollande wrests French presidency from Sarkozy - May 07, 2012
- France votes to choose Sarkozy or Hollande (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- Sarkozy challenges Hollande to public debates - Apr 23, 2012
- Millions of French vote to decide Sarkozy's fate (Third Lead) - Apr 22, 2012
- France votes as Sarkozy's fate hangs in balance (Second Lead) - Apr 22, 2012
- Hollande gives Sarkozy a run for his money (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- French presidential election starts (Lead) - Apr 22, 2012
- Hollande wins first round of France poll (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Hollande 'wins first round' of France poll - Apr 23, 2012
- French presidential election kicks off - Apr 22, 2012
- French presidential polls begin in overseas regions - May 06, 2012
- Sarkozy to quit politics if he loses election - Mar 09, 2012
Tags: ballots, challenger, exit polls, france 24 tv, francois hollande, french president nicolas, french president nicolas sarkozy, good luck, new french president, nicolas sarkozy, outgoing president, polling institute, polls france, presidency, president nicolas sarkozy, presidential runoff, registered voters, socialist party, tv channel, xinhua