Sarah Palin not to run for presidentOctober 6th, 2011 - 2:02 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Oct 6 (IANS) Former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin says she will not run for the Republican presidential nomination in 2012.
“After much prayer and serious consideration, I have decided that I will not be seeking the 2012 GOP nomination for president of the United States,” Palin said in a public letter Wednesday, adding
“family comes first”.
Palin said her decision was based on a review of what common sense Conservatives and Independents have accomplished, especially over the last year, Xinhua reported.
“I believe that at this time I can be more effective in a decisive role to help elect other true public servants to office - from the nation’s governors to Congressional seats and the presidency,” she said in the letter.
Palin is the second Republican candidate hopeful who gave up the candidacy in two days.
On Tuesday, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie formally announced that he would not run for Republican presidential nomination in 2012, letting down many who have been so far unsatisfied with the Republican field in the US general elections.
A Washington Post-ABC News poll indicated on Tuesday that two-thirds of Republicans say they do not want Palin to seek the party’s nomination.
- 'Plummeting' Palin loses another long-time admirer - Mar 24, 2011
- Obama's popularity rising, Palin's falling for 2012 Presidential elections: Poll - Dec 29, 2010
- Palin's 'Neanderthal' swipe at possible 2012 GOP rival Santorum - Feb 10, 2011
- Palin drops to fifth place in GOP 2012 presidential primary race - Apr 09, 2011
- Palin gets no vote in recent GOP straw poll - Feb 23, 2011
- Sarah Palin denies that her bus tour has been canceled - Jun 23, 2011
- Palin's popularity plummets to all time low even among Republican voters, finds poll - Feb 15, 2011
- Palin's 2012 presidential dreams take 'severe hit' following damaging poll - Feb 11, 2010
- Sarah Palin gets restraining order against her stalker - Apr 15, 2011
- Palin's 2012 challenge: To reduce gap between favorable, unfavorable ratings - Nov 19, 2010
- Ron Paul wins Republican summit straw poll at CPAC - Feb 13, 2011
- Ann Coulter opens up on Piers Morgan show - Jun 08, 2011
- Palin's Iowa trip, Friday's Republican dinner, points to 2012 presidential run - Sep 13, 2010
- Palin calls Santorum a Neanderthal for comments about her not attending CPAC - Feb 10, 2011
- Over 4 in 10 Republicans want better candidates to choose from - Feb 14, 2011
Tags: abc news poll, alaska governor sarah palin, candidacy, christie, congressional seats, decisive role, general elections, gop nomination, governor sarah palin, hopeful, independents, jersey governor, president of the united states, public servants, republican candidate, republican field, republican presidential nomination, sarah palin, washington post, xinhua