Sarabhai complains to poll panel over BJP’s lotus ‘mangal sutras’April 15th, 2009 - 7:47 pm ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, April 15 (IANS) Danseuse and independent candidate from Gandhinagar in Gujarat Mallika Sarabhai has filed a complaint with the Election Commission against the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for making lotus ‘mangal sutras’ (pendant worn by married women) for the poll campaign.
Mallika in her complaint has raised objections on the BJP using “a symbol of pride for Indian women” as a tool for campaigning in the polls.
“The BJP’s campaign using a mangal sutra made out of a party symbol is an insult to Indian women,” she said.
The opposition Congress has also reacted strongly to the BJP’s move to make a mangal sutra out of the party symbol.
Chief spokesperson of the Gujarat Congress Arjun Modhvadia said: “A mangal sutra is a traditional ornament which can be offered only by a husband to his wife. This is certainly derogatory for Indian women.”
Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram, on a visit to Ahmedabad, commented: “A mangal sutra is a symbol of purity and pride for Indian women. How can it be used by BJP as a tool for poll campaigning?”
However, state BJP spokesperson I.K. Jadeja said : “This is just a garland. In the party’s view its just a garland… nothing else.”
- Anna Hazare gains support in Gujarat - Apr 06, 2011
- Discord on Day 2: Protesters detained as Modi fasts - Sep 18, 2011
- Sarabhai asks Hazare to retract Modi praise - Apr 11, 2011
- Mallika Sarabhai's new choreography finds Tagore through his women - Mar 28, 2012
- Modi and Vaghela on fast track politics in Gujarat - Sep 16, 2011
- Modi thanks Hazare for praise, Sarabhai upset (Lead) - Apr 12, 2011
- Mallika Sarabhai files nomination from Gandhinagar - Apr 02, 2009
- Obama said yes we can, I say now we must: Mallika Sarabhai (Interview) - Apr 05, 2009
- Mallika Sarabhai to contest general polls, challenge Advani - Mar 19, 2009
- Congress's Gandhinagar win a dent in Modi's invincibility? (Gujarat Newsletter) - Apr 22, 2011
- Modi's Patel statue announcement leads to controversy - Oct 08, 2010
- Advani files nomination from Gandhinagar - Apr 08, 2009
- Mallika Sarabhai invites Advani for open debate - Apr 06, 2009
- Mallika Sarabhai regrets poll panel not having power to debar Varun - Mar 25, 2009
- Mallika Sarabhai to take on Advani from Gandhinagar (Lead) - Mar 19, 2009
Tags: arjun, bharatiya janata party, bjp, chief spokesperson, danseuse, election commission, gandhinagar, independent candidate, indian women, jadeja, mallika sarabhai, mangal sutra, married women, opposition congress, p chidambaram, party symbol, poll campaign, sutras, symbol of purity, union home minister